Wrist & Forearms

Today I am going to talk about building bigger overall forearm mass, and more importantly how to really target that small amount of muscle just below the wrist. Some of this will be new to some, some of this will be a been there done that.

1. Order the Heavy Gripz or the Vulcan Grip

This is one of the simplest ways to up your forearms is just focusing on raw grip strength. Use these both right side up and upside down since the fingers on the bottom of the grip are contributing a larger slack. One thing that happened from using these is my pinkies are still weak in the sense that they are pinkies, but are considerably strong for that and will pay off for #3 which is the goldmine for getting that area below the wrist thicker. Using grippers during the beginning had my hand sore everywhere working reps with the 150's, like that space between your finger through your palms was is pain the next day. Doing this on a strong test and nandrolone cycle may yield some finger and palm thickness gains. Years ago I read about a 17 year old (who I communicated with on same forum) who worked up to the 300lb grippers and said that it helped his arm wrestling (wanted to be competitive arm wrestler) and did a lot of different things to up his wrist size from a 6.5" to a 7.5" dom wrist, however I am dismissing grips as being able to make the actual wrist thicker.

2. Order Fat Gripz and Fat Gripz Extreme

These are so you have a wider hand grip to put over a bar. First instinct might tell you this is all for pulling but your wrong. Try doing curls with these and it is like the bar is trying to pry your hands open duing the rep, your forearms get blasted during dumbell flys. Another thing i use them during presses too. This is one trick to make the muscles right below the wist grow is that while your hand is wider and closer to open, those muscles right below the wrist are more activated in balancing and stabilizing. It will be hard but try and use the regular fat gripz for pulling and ge the fat gripz extreme for the pushing and everything else.

3. Wrist Rotation

This is the neglected thing nobody does for forearms cause people often don't see a reason why it helps other gym lifts. Most people do a pointless rotation workout where they hold a dumbell and spin it which not many do in the first place. There is only one simple wrist rotation exercise I know otherwise you need to get inventive. The first one is in the video below, however this is missing something and that is the wider grip that fat gripz provide. Ty an experiment. Put one fist in front of you and your other hand catching the fist, wrap you open hand around that fist and try to spider your fingers around it, and now rotate the fist in both directions with the gripping hand while the fist hand resist.  This rotation done with the wider grip and spread out fingers does wonders to target these muscles below the wrist, getting that thinnest part of the forearm bulked up.

[video=youtube]
I have yet to find a more efficient way to do rotation short of doing something like a wrist roller contraption on some random bar or pole with a door knob like object super glued on one end of the pole, this did not hold forever. Need a high quality metal knob or handle and a welding torch.

You can still do wrist curls, reverses, dead hangs, etc. Just consider incorporating all of this into your forearm and wrist routine

purps drank

Slayer
Wow, super legit. Going to start doing all of these things once I start gymceling again next week. Thanks for the info.

Nizoral Babe

Coper
Sick post. I've seen those devices but never tried them. I've always done standing barbell holds with a thick bar.

Pyramid supersetting as such;

Warm up stand alone bar (squeezing hard) 30 seconds
Warm up 40% for 10 seconds
Warm up 60% for 15 seconds
--------------------
Work set 80% until failure
Work set 90% until failure
Work set 100% until failure (even if it's only 3 seconds)
--------------------
Drop set 90% until failure
Drop set 80% until failure
Drop set 70% until failure
Repeat until 30% and then finished

Do this with an overhand grip and then repeat with an underhand grip. Go as WIDE as you can, comfortably.

The next exercise I do is very similar but with dumbbells. This bothers some people's wrists, so I recommend going light. Basically you want to take an underhand grip, raise your arms in front of you and off to the sides. I always tell people to think you're going Super Saiyan because that's exactly what it looks like and you will feel like it too!

Same routine as above but do NOT go above 60%. Don't ego lift this and go heavy - it's a resistance exercise. Resist gravity for as long as possible, you'll feel your entire body working during these exercises.

Currently my wrists are at 7" at the base of the palm, 7.5" an inch below that and just under 13" forearms.

sub8 life

Incel
You don't need any fancy equipment to train grip, just regular static holds with a barbell in the gym is enough. I have those hand grippers, they are effective but I can't use them because I start getting carpal tunnel after using them for a while. When I train the grip I train it statically without range of motion, this puts less stress on the joints.

sub8 life said:
You don't need any fancy equipment to train grip, just regular static holds with a barbell in the gym is enough. I have those hand grippers, they are effective but I can't use them because I start getting carpal tunnel after using them for a while. When I train the grip I train it statically without range of motion, this puts less stress on the joints.
The grips make a viable option to do anywhere, and it is particularly useful for making the ring and pinky fingers stronger to spread your grip strength through the entire hand, this pays off on the wrist rotation later

JustLOL

Incel
@Nerzhus did you actually increased your wrist size from lifting?

Nizoral Babe

Coper
JustLOL said:
@Nerzhus did you actually increased your wrist size from lifting?
I did. I used to have small forearms, like 11.5" or less before I started lifting. I only did heavy deadlifts, heavy rows, heavy shrugs and dumbbell work (lawn mowers, curls, etc). But the holds are legit the best way to grow forearms, imo.

sub0

Cuck
What about that story that wrists are just ligament and bone and can't be made bigger like muscle or fat?

sub0 said:
What about that story that wrists are just ligament and bone and can't be made bigger like muscle or fat?

The epiphysis (end of long bone) of the forearms is largely what determines wrist size (check ulna and radius in the above pic). Tendons and ligaments connect to these and the tension might promote the bones to grow thicker but I wouldn't expect that 17 y/o to gain an inch in wrist thickness from just the heavy grips. There is more evidence that heavy bench pressing promotes thick wrist, but this might only be promising while still growing. Look at this bodybuilder for example, forearm shape indicates he he doesn't even try working his forearms besides needed grip for his compound lifts, or just has shitty forearm muscle insertions and thin wrist.

He could probably fill that area below the wrist that's thin looking by using the extra thick bar or fat gripz while benching and doing some wrist rotation which as I said in the OP, no bodybuilder seems to ever do this rotation

sub0

Cuck
I'm 30, exactly where would I have gains using your exercises? What if roids are used?

sub0 said:
I'm 30, exactly where would I have gains using your exercises? What if roids are used?
I'm not about to claim that these added to your workout will make your wrist its self thicker, but you will finally fill that area I was mentioning which will make a difference in your forearm look.

The two arrows are marking the wrist I mentioned before, take the area of that wrist going to the red line and thicken that entire space, that is what benching with Fat Gripz and incorporating wrist rotation will improve for sure.

If you want to cycle than Deca will be very good since it helps joints a lot and may get you through more workouts without wrist pains you would otherwise need to slow down for. Test and Deca are both documented for bone mass as well.

I still suggest working grip strength,  ticht grip will tighten your wrist to stabilize the area during the rotation. When straight bar reverse curls is hurting my wrist it is a reminder to squeeze the fuck out of the bar even if it isn't needed. Weights I couldn't even touch before I can handle no problem now cause I listened to my wrist while getting them stronger. Even with all that my wrist its self self is still not wider. Only thing to do now is run a 12 week test and deca cycle eventually. Either I finally get the wrist thicker or I get the muscles right below it really jacked. The muscles alone WILL make a difference. Think of it as neck putting a halo on your face.

sub0

Cuck
Thanks. What if I stop training after getting gains: will I lose muscle?

Nizoral Babe

Coper
Machiavellian said:
sub0 said:

The epiphysis (end of long bone) of the forearms is largely what determines wrist size (check ulna and radius in the above pic). Tendons and ligaments connect to these and the tension might promote the bones to grow thicker but I wouldn't expect that 17 y/o to gain an inch in wrist thickness from just the heavy grips. There is more evidence that heavy bench pressing promotes thick wrist, but this might only be promising while still growing. Look at this bodybuilder for example, forearm shape indicates he he doesn't even try working his forearms besides needed grip for his compound lifts, or just has shitty forearm muscle insertions and thin wrist.

He could probably fill that area below the wrist that's thin looking by using the extra thick bar or fat gripz while benching and doing some wrist rotation which as I said in the OP, no bodybuilder seems to ever do this rotation
That's because they want to give the illusion of size. Small wrists, yet developed forearms, biceps and triceps is universally attractive because of the illusion of size. 17" arms look impressive when considering 6.5" wrists. If you have 7.5"+ wrists it's not AS impressive looking but still good. It's the same as small waist and wide shoulders. 

Bodybuilding is essentially who can use the best smoke and mirrors to look good.

driftwood

Incel
This is a little silly.

Pick up 2 65-80 pound dumbells in each hand and simply hold them.

Trains the neck and forearms and shoulders

Nizoral Babe

Coper
driftwood said:
This is a little silly.

Pick up 2 65-80 pound dumbells in each hand and simply hold them.

Trains the neck and forearms and shoulders
Basically what I said, lol. TRUTH!

furio said:
What about barbell forearm curls?
It's pretty basic, feel free to do them. I mainly made the thread to emphasize 2. and 3. which a lot of people don't, with 1. showing grippers as a convenient way for grip strength.