• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

Why not get implants ?

Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
719
Reputation
0
I see a lot of hating on implants. People say things like "reconstructive surgery is considered OK, whereas implants are not" and so on. Why doesn't everyone here with weak cheek bones, lateral orbitals, chins, etc. get implants? Also, lets assume we're talking about the state of the art in implants, e.g. Dr Yaremchuk's bespoke implants.
 

Veuve

Rotter
Joined
Oct 4, 2015
Messages
2,943
Reputation
1
they can get infected
they can move apparently
they can look asymmetrical
idk ive just seen many people say bone>>>>implants
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
719
Reputation
0
I have heard that cheek implants can only be placed on the "front" of the cheek bones. I'm curious if anyone can comment on that. Also, I wonder if gonial angle implants really feel like bones, if they're strong enough to function well, and if the masseter sits on top of them. Lastly, can someone tell that you have implants by feeling your face?
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2016
Messages
1,824
Reputation
1
MogTime said:
Supreme Gentleman said:
They could get infected 
Also they are weak because they aren't real bone

This is what autism looks like.

They could get infected
Very low chance of infection if you get it from a top tier surgeon. Less than a 2% infection rate spanning your whole life. Implants would be forbidden if they were highly likely to cause infection. It's an incredbily safe procedure and produces much better aesthetic results than any bony augmentation.



Also they are weak because they aren't real bone
:cage:
Not sure if fucking serious.


Veuve said:
they can get infected
they can move apparently
they can look asymmetrical
idk ive just seen many people say bone>>>>implants

Everything you listed is wrong

How is an implant that is bolted to your bone going to move? It's almost physically impossible for this to happen.

In regards to looking asymmetrical. 

Straight from the mouth of Eppley. This was his reply to my question regarding reducing asymmetry.


Bone is better than implants for functional reasons but just ABSOLUTE lol if you think you can achieve similar aesthetic results.



Ok man, are you gonna get implants?
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2015
Messages
4,258
Reputation
5
There are implants which basically get overgrown by bone (there's bone tissue growing within the implant). Those are fine I guess. But with a lot of implants that don't really integrate into your bones you have some object that won't follow the changes to the bone structure as you age. For example the lateral infraorbital rim and cheekbones gets weaker as you age (i.e. get lower) so you basically risk bone vanishing from UNDER the implant and it gets super wonky.
For some people and implant types/locations the implants themselves speed up bone loss.

I'll probably still end up going for infraorbital implants because I have no other choice (LF3 is even riskier etc) though I really hope they'll release that bone-matrix-thingy for plastic surgery till then.

For stuff that can be done both with implants and osteotomy (best example: chin) I'd ALWAYS get the osteotomy.
 

Temoc

Joke
Joined
Oct 27, 2015
Messages
922
Reputation
3
I think implants are legit but sometimes they look weird, I remember some guy who got these full wrap around implants, he looked like O'pry on profile but there was something off in front pics

One of the problems with implants compared to orthognatic surgery is that you can't move your maxilla or teeth position with them, so if you have a weak mandible and you get implants your mouth/teeth will still be in a recessed position compared to a BSSO.

Implants are the way to go if you want a square jaw though, but I would be cautious with these Porex wrap around jaw implants, they are massive, hard to get out and will create a huge gap between your bone and muscle.
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
719
Reputation
0
No doubt that orthognathic surgery trumps implants. I'm going to get MMA. My chin projection wrt my lower jaw is fine. And I'm considering cheek and/or lateral orbital implants... custom implants.
 

POS

Banned
Joined
Oct 7, 2015
Messages
704
Reputation
3
ideally you would get osteotomies first to max your natural bone structure (will mostly improve profile), then get implants to finish it off (mostly for front). expensive as fuck tho.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2015
Messages
4,258
Reputation
5
POS said:
ideally you would get osteotomies first to max your natural bone structure (will mostly improve profile), then get implants to finish it off (mostly for front). expensive as fuck tho.

Bimax(& LF2+)->Nose+Chin->Cheeks+Orbitals->Softtissue adjustments

Is the GOAT order of surgeries.
The problem is you're crippling your lookmaxxing by 2+ years with bimax.
 

POS

Banned
Joined
Oct 7, 2015
Messages
704
Reputation
3
GeneticDeadEnd said:
POS said:
ideally you would get osteotomies first to max your natural bone structure (will mostly improve profile), then get implants to finish it off (mostly for front). expensive as fuck tho.

Bimax(& LF2+)->Nose+Chin->Cheeks+Orbitals->Softtissue adjustments

Is the GOAT order of surgeries.
The problem is you're crippling your lookmaxxing by 2+ years with bimax.

Distraction Osteogenesis is a better option than bimax. plus you can get more advancement with DO than with bimax. only downsides is not as much surgeons do it so you will have to travel to get it done, and it is 2 operations (one to install, and one to remove the device). but its suppesed to be more gentler than a strait bimax (the bone is moved gradually over a period of time)
 

Temoc

Joke
Joined
Oct 27, 2015
Messages
922
Reputation
3
GeneticDeadEnd said:
POS said:
ideally you would get osteotomies first to max your natural bone structure (will mostly improve profile), then get implants to finish it off (mostly for front). expensive as fuck tho.

Bimax(& LF2+)->Nose+Chin->Cheeks+Orbitals->Softtissue adjustments

Is the GOAT order of surgeries.
The problem is you're crippling your lookmaxxing by 2+ years with bimax.

Why? The braces?

I had braces when young and my maxfac said I can have bimax right now as my bite is fine and he will advance both the same amount, if your teeth are fucked up it will take a while but its worth it, I will get braces during surgery and keep them for 6 months I think.

Chin genioplasty is usually done together with bimax
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2015
Messages
4,258
Reputation
5
POS said:
GeneticDeadEnd said:
Bimax(& LF2+)->Nose+Chin->Cheeks+Orbitals->Softtissue adjustments

Is the GOAT order of surgeries.
The problem is you're crippling your lookmaxxing by 2+ years with bimax.

Distraction Osteogenesis is a better option than bimax. plus you can get more advancement with DO than with bimax. only downsides is not as much surgeons do it so you will have to travel to get it done, and it is 2 operations (one to install, and one to remove the device). but its suppesed to be more gentler than a strait bimax (the bone is moved gradually over a period of time)

But then how do you move the maxilla?


Temoc said:
GeneticDeadEnd said:
Bimax(& LF2+)->Nose+Chin->Cheeks+Orbitals->Softtissue adjustments

Is the GOAT order of surgeries.
The problem is you're crippling your lookmaxxing by 2+ years with bimax.

Why? The braces?

I had braces when young and my maxfac said I can have bimax right now as my bite is fine and he will advance both the same amount, if your teeth are fucked up it will take a while but its worth it, I will get braces during surgery and keep them for 6 months I think.

Chin genioplasty is usually done together with bimax

Yes. I was told they'd have to create a stepping because advancing the maxilla by the same amount as the mandible even if the bite is fine (mine isn't because overbite, but that could be fixed easily with a segmental LF1 if I could find someone to do it...) typically isn't done. I guess they might do it if your maxilla is brutally recessed or if you're from a country where you have more of a say in what is done to your body...
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
719
Reputation
0
Temoc said:
GeneticDeadEnd said:
Bimax(& LF2+)->Nose+Chin->Cheeks+Orbitals->Softtissue adjustments

Is the GOAT order of surgeries.
The problem is you're crippling your lookmaxxing by 2+ years with bimax.

Why? The braces?

I had braces when young and my maxfac said I can have bimax right now as my bite is fine and he will advance both the same amount, if your teeth are fucked up it will take a while but its worth it, I will get braces during surgery and keep them for 6 months I think.

Chin genioplasty is usually done together with bimax

You can get bimax without braces, then start braces a month later. My bite is basically fine, but I may want my maxilla to be widened slightly during surgery so I guess I'll need braces for around a year to bring the teeth back together. I think you can get cheek / jaw implants installed while you have braces.


GeneticDeadEnd said:
POS said:
Distraction Osteogenesis is a better option than bimax. plus you can get more advancement with DO than with bimax. only downsides is not as much surgeons do it so you will have to travel to get it done, and it is 2 operations (one to install, and one to remove the device). but its suppesed to be more gentler than a strait bimax (the bone is moved gradually over a period of time)

But then how do you move the maxilla?


Temoc said:
Why? The braces?

I had braces when young and my maxfac said I can have bimax right now as my bite is fine and he will advance both the same amount, if your teeth are fucked up it will take a while but its worth it, I will get braces during surgery and keep them for 6 months I think.

Chin genioplasty is usually done together with bimax

Yes. I was told they'd have to create a stepping because advancing the maxilla by the same amount as the mandible even if the bite is fine (mine isn't because overbite, but that could be fixed easily with a segmental LF1 if I could find someone to do it...) typically isn't done. I guess they might do it if your maxilla is brutally recessed or if you're from a country where you have more of a say in what is done to your body...



I plan to get double jaw surgery in S. Korea where you can have anything done for cosmetic reasons.
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2015
Messages
4,258
Reputation
5
MushroomCloud said:
I plan to get double jaw surgery in S. Korea where you can have anything done for cosmetic reasons.

SK is pretty legit. I'm kinda worried that there would be communication problems and that they aren't as familiar with the procedures I need. For instance they typically shave down cheekbones and chin or make the eye more rounder while I need the opposite.
Not sure how good their English is but I've met Asian academics with questionable English mastery.
 
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
719
Reputation
0
:=) said:
Because satisfaction rate for cheekbone implants tends to be very low. So many people who did it (mostly males) discourage me from getting implants. Cheekbone implants tend to look somewhat off on males despite of ability to mold them to custom shape. They can give puffy look, create shelf transition, accentuate eye hollowing and look bizarre (edges could be seen) when one smiles. I think it's a big problem, because they are put over muscular structures.

They can't just be bolted to the bone ?
 

Temoc

Joke
Joined
Oct 27, 2015
Messages
922
Reputation
3
GeneticDeadEnd said:
POS said:
Distraction Osteogenesis is a better option than bimax. plus you can get more advancement with DO than with bimax. only downsides is not as much surgeons do it so you will have to travel to get it done, and it is 2 operations (one to install, and one to remove the device). but its suppesed to be more gentler than a strait bimax (the bone is moved gradually over a period of time)

But then how do you move the maxilla?


Temoc said:
Why? The braces?

I had braces when young and my maxfac said I can have bimax right now as my bite is fine and he will advance both the same amount, if your teeth are fucked up it will take a while but its worth it, I will get braces during surgery and keep them for 6 months I think.

Chin genioplasty is usually done together with bimax

Yes. I was told they'd have to create a stepping because advancing the maxilla by the same amount as the mandible even if the bite is fine (mine isn't because overbite, but that could be fixed easily with a segmental LF1 if I could find someone to do it...) typically isn't done. I guess they might do it if your maxilla is brutally recessed or if you're from a country where you have more of a say in what is done to your body...



They can advance both if your mandible and maxilla are equally recessed. It is a case by case thing really. Maybe your maxilla is already in a good position so they cannot advance it much further without making you look like a monkey.

I will only have to extract my wisdom teeth before the surgery although sometimes they can do it during surgery too.

My plans for 2016 are bimax with genio and a canthoplasty to fix lower eyelid laxity, that one is more reconstructive surgery as it also gives me dry eyes(my tears fall before running through the entire eyelid), I almost have ectropion, I talked with the surgeon and he said I have a positive orbital vector so it will be easy to fix, he will also give me fat grafting for the tear through and hooded eyes

I will ascend this year buddies
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2015
Messages
4,258
Reputation
5
:=) said:
Because satisfaction rate for cheekbone implants tends to be very low. So many people who did it (mostly males) discourage me from getting implants. Cheekbone implants tend to look somewhat off on males despite of ability to mold them to custom shape. They can give puffy look, create shelf transition, accentuate eye hollowing and look bizarre (edges could be seen) when one smiles. I think it's a big problem, because they are put over muscular structures.

Your problem is that your whole face is evenly recessed in relation to your eyeballs. Your cheekbones aren't recessed at all compared to the rest of your bone structure (am at work but I have your annotated ceph in my collection at home, unidentifiable don't worry). Adding anterior projection to your cheekbones won't do shit unless you get bimax advancement and maybe a brow ridge implant as well.
Your cheekbones (and lateral orbitals) are much more forward projected in relation to your face than mine, but your eye area isn't better since your eyeballs are advanced by just as much or even more.

Have you looked into cosmetic orbital decompression as I suggested?
If it wouldn't mess with my supraorbital area I would probably be getting that.



 
Top