• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

Why are there so many college/university educated people with unrealistic standarts?

Severe Aspie

Regular
I said:
swimcel said:
underrated remark. Being tall, dominant, overall good looking and having good social skills will get you far in the STEM field, since everyone in there is lacking those traits  :giggle: if you're only interested in making money then i suggest you get an engineering degree and then branch off to finance.

this is very legit

it's the only real use for an engineering degree, imo.   

Lance_Armweak said:

I'm not a complete aspie, what I'm really after here is a decent paying job after 4 years of college
. I don't want to be living off of 50,000 a year.
  maths/engineering and then go into actuarial science or finance for an MS.

another thiing you can do is get shit grades in engineering and then become a product manager and make 80-130 grand bossing around STEM dorks.

quick tip: despite what your daddy told you, most engineers actually make between 50-80k  :shock:, which is a bogus income at the lower end.

You hear comments like this on this forum a lot.

Most sane people would be happy with a 50k salary.

Not only on this forum, you hear insane comments like this a lot around college/university educated people

Most of the time from finance/business students. Never worked a day in their life but act like they are entitled to own the world.  They would rather kill  them selves then working a 50 k job..

when the average US Salary is around 30k.. and so many people are happy with it.

A few weeks ago I had a discussion with some business/finance students at my dorm

They really think that after graduation they will start with 50-60k Euros... They have worked a day in their life, yet they think from the first day of work on they will already earn more then most people ever will earn in their lifes.(average employers salary is 30k euros in Germany; For a business graduate the actual entry level salary is 35-40k)

I have so many friends who just work jobs like carpenter and electrician and they are happy as fuck with their job, they never cared about going to college... many of the business students would just laugh arrogant when my carpenter friend would show his pay check..  they would rather kill them selves then swaping with a normal job :D

I mean yeah its good to try to aim as high as possible as long you are happy. But I dont get the arrogance towards working class people.( I am middle class, most in my family are college educated, i am liberal arts faggot :D, but I dont get why I should be arrogant towards my friends who just do the so called "simple-labour"

Or am I just a leftist faggot? :giggle:

smellysocks

Megastar
Depends if they are talking euros, usd or cad

The canadian dollar is a joke right now

Veuve

Rotter
well, my parents make 7 figures so if i ended up with a 50k/yr job i'd feel like a huge failure

plastiks

Joke
It's not unrealistic at all to want/expect $80k+ per year as an engineer. It's a difficult major. 

The only sane people that would be happy with a $50k salary are those that didn't go to college and therefore can't expect more and have been living off relatively low paying jobs their entire lives so they don't know any better. 

When I was a teenager I was like you - $50k a year seemed like so much money and I didn't get why people would push themselves for so much more. When you reach adulthood and actually have to pay bills and no longer benefit from your parent's existing assets, you'll understand $50k is just a modest life at best after mortgage, car payments, utilities, expenses, etc.

Severe Aspie

Regular
Lance_Armweak said:
50k is a shit salary, where do you live?

30-40k is average.
so how can you say 50k is a shit salary lol :giggle: thats what i was trying to talk about ... the insane standarts of some college educated people

Veuve said:
well, my parents make 7 figures so if i ended up with a 50k/yr job i'd feel like a huge failure

Thats a different thing though :giggle:

FuckThis

Rotter
lol at thinking that majority of this kids will get 50 k jobs

it is a pipe dream, new generations are being automated and fucked over

Whis

Joke
Severe Aspie said:
Lance_Armweak said:

30-40k is average.
so how can you say 50k is a shit salary lol :giggle: thats what i was trying to talk about ... the insane standarts of some college educated people

You're right a lot of people seem to have this unrealistic standard when it comes to earning salary. It has to do with upbringing some of us have grown up sheltered and are far-fetched from reality we compare our own luxurious lifestyles to those less fortunate. I used to have this mindset as well because my father always had high paying jobs of up to £50,000 also university educated people tend to have bigger expectations too.

Severe Aspie

Regular
plastiks said:
It's not unrealistic at all to want/expect $80k+ per year as an engineer. It's a difficult major. 

The only sane people that would be happy with a $50k salary are those that didn't go to college and therefore can't expect more and have been living off relatively low paying jobs their entire lives so they don't know any better. 

When I was a teenager I was like you - $50k a year seemed like so much money and I didn't get why people would push themselves for so much more. When you reach adulthood and actually have to pay bills and no longer benefit from your parent's existing assets, you'll understand $50k is just a modest life at best after mortgage, car payments, utilities, expenses, etc.

Thats the point. Some people dont even value a normal life. They really expect to live like kings :giggle:

Be happy that you can have car payments, utilities expenses at all. You live in the first word. you already live in the golden cage.
Most of the worlds population can only dream of having the cars, utilites you have.. its not natural for humans to have all these things.. its luxury and you appreciate it.

try to climb the cooperate ladder make more money thats okay. but dont act like you have a hard life, and are a poor kid with your 50k,  thats so ridiclous. you are already better off then most people will ever be.

My dad makes 60k, my mum around 40k.. so 100k parent house hold..  average household income is 50k euros in germany. So twice as much as the average...middle class.

i never had the feeling that i have money problems. i feel like have a very good life and like i am rich

Lance_Armweak

Rotter
Severe Aspie said:
Lance_Armweak said:

30-40k is average.

Veuve said:

Thats a different thing though :giggle:

Think about all the things you must pay for, bills, rent, food, loans, etc.. 50k isn't much. And we're talking about 50k without taxes too.

Severe Aspie said:
I said:
this is very legit

it's the only real use for an engineering degree, imo.   

maths/engineering and then go into actuarial science or finance for an MS.

another thiing you can do is get shit grades in engineering and then become a product manager and make 80-130 grand bossing around STEM dorks.

quick tip: despite what your daddy told you, most engineers actually make between 50-80k  :shock:, which is a bogus income at the lower end.

Not only on this forum, you hear insane comments like this a lot around college/university educated people

Most of the time from finance/business students. Never worked a day in their life but act like they are entitled to own the world.  They would rather kill  them selves then working a 50 k job..

when the average US Salary is around 30k.. and so many people are happy with it.

A few weeks ago I had a discussion with some business/finance students at my dorm

They really think that after graduation they will start with 50-60k Euros... They have worked a day in their life, yet they think from the first day of work on they will already earn more then most people ever will earn in their lifes.(average employers salary is 30k euros in Germany; For a business graduate the actual entry level salary is 35-40k)

I have so many friends who just work jobs like carpenter and electrician and they are happy as fuck with their job, they never cared about going to college... many of the business students would just laugh arrogant when my carpenter friend would show his pay check..  they would rather kill them selves then swaping with a normal job :D

I mean yeah its good to try to aim as high as possible as long you are happy. But I dont get the arrogance towards working class people.( I am middle class, most in my family are college educated, i am liberal arts faggot :D, but I dont get why I should be arrogant towards my friends who just do the so called "simple-labour"

50k is GARBAGE in the states.  After taxes, that's roughly 2708 dollars are month, and once you take insurance out of it, it comes down to around $2500 a month.  In most decent areas to live in the states, your rent will be between $600-1000 month if you split it with someone else.    So, let's be modest and say you pay $800/month in rent, which reduces your money to play with down even further to 1700.  

Since you almost definitely went to college and have to pay back loans, let's slap on a 50k loan with a 10 yr repayment term (forget the 25yr plan - it's a scam which forces you to pay back everything you owe in taxes at the end of the term), which now brings you down to $1,200/month to play with.

This isn't even factoring in car payments, groceries, gas, utilities/electric, cable...

It's shit tier money.  My guess is that you'd probably have around $700 a month to play with at most after all the other expenses are considered.

You need to make around 70k to have a half-way decent standard of living in America.

EdSheeran

Rotter
both my parents were architects and made 120k a year tax free

RealRob

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Younger people are fucking retarded, they are EXTREMELY naive. 99% of college students in sweden honestly believe they gotta become hot-shots, talking all day about their great future.

In reality, they will get stuck in some random office making less money than a tradesman  :giggle:

Lance_Armweak

Rotter
I said:
Severe Aspie said:

50k is GARBAGE in the states.  After taxes, that's roughly 2708 dollars are month, and once you take insurance out of it, it comes down to around $2500 a month.  In most decent areas to live in the states, your rent will be between $600-1000 month if you split it with someone else.    So, let's be modest and say you pay $800/month in rent, which reduces your money to play with down even further to 1700.  

Since you almost definitely went to college and have to pay back loans, let's slap on a 50k loan with a 10 yr repayment term (forget the 25yr plan - it's a scam which forces you to pay back everything you owe in taxes at the end of the term), which now brings you down to $1,200/month to play with.

This isn't even factoring in car payments, groceries, gas, utilities/electric, cable...

It's shit tier money.  My guess is that you'd probably have around $700 a month to play with at most after all the other expenses are considered.

You need to make around 70k to have a decent standard of living in America.

That 800 dollar rent would probably give you some of the shittest apartments in the biggest cities in the US too.

RealRob

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Every fucking young idiot is completely obsessed with "success" today, the western world is extremely materalistic, they grow up watching rich dudes on fucking instagram getting convinced thats the only way to happyness.

EVERY SINGLE ONE wants to be some hot shot lawyer or a doctor, they are fucking deluded, 0.00001% will actually succeed  :giggle:

Lance_Armweak said:
I said:

You need to make around 70k to have a decent standard of living in America.

That 800 dollar rent would probably give you some of the shittest apartments in the biggest cities in the US too.

Oh, that would be garbage tier in say NYC or even DC.  I'm talking about a modest 2br 2ba around 1000+ sq ft in a suburb, not a big city.

50k is awful.  You can certainly live off of it, and you aren't a complete poor for sure, but it's still terrible.