White Racism against Blacks in latin america ,fear of black dick

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MASKING  HISPANIC RACISM: A CUBAN CASE STUDY[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dr. Miguel A. De La Torre[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I am a recovering racist, a product of two race-constructed societies.[1] Exilic Cubans see themselves as white and the Island's inhabitants as mostly black. A major issue which will arise in a post-Castro Cuba is intra-Cuban race relations, an issue mostly ignored because of the myth proclaiming Cubans as non-racists. I propose to debunk this myth. Any serious discourse on intra-Cuban reconciliation must unmask the hidden tension existing between seemingly white Exilic Cuba and black Resident Cuba.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Gender, race and class oppressions do not exist in isolated compartments, nor are they separate categories of repression. They are created in the space where they interact and conflict with each other, a space I will call machismo. The understanding of machismo requires a full consideration of sexism, heterosexism, racism, ethnocentrism and classism. All forms of oppression are identical in their attempt to domesticate the Other. The sexist, who sees women playing a lesser productive role than men, transfers upon the non-elite male Other effeminate characteristics, placing him in a feminine space for "easy mounting." Their subjugation (not just in body) establishes the selfhood of the macho.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Race is not a biological factor differentiating humans, rather, it is a social construction whose function is the oppression of the Object-Other for the benefit of the Subject. Racism against the Cuban's Others, Amerindians, Africans, Chinese and any combination thereof, is normalized by the social structures of both Resident and Exilic Cubans. Because domination of a group of people by another is usually conducted by the males of the dominant culture, it becomes crucial to understand the construction of this domination as seen through the eyes of the oppressor. Our patriarchal structure projects unto my "darker" Other the position occupied by women regardless of the Other's gender. For this reason, it is valid to explore Cuban racism as a form of machismo. Although an examination of racism toward the Taíno and Asian aspects of our culture would prove profitable, this article will solely concentrate on African oppression. [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cuba's African population was constructed as non-machos and designated to serve those with power and privilege. By 1524, as Diego Columbus' term as viceroy came to an end, there were more African slaves in the Caribbean than Taínos. The end of Amerindian enslavement in Cuba ushered in African slavery. By examining the differences between Cuban and North American slavery, I propose to debunk the construction of Cuban racism and show how it is a manifestation of machismo. But before demonstrating how the engendering of black Cuban bodies constitutes machismo, I will first briefly review history from the underside of the African experience. Then I will investigate how Cuban blacks are constructed. [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]And finally I will unmask the historical hoax of denying the existence of Cuban racism. [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]By exploring what was and is done to black and/or bi-racial Cubans, we expose one aspect of the underling tension preventing reconciliation between today's Resident and Exilic Cubans.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Initially, few African slaves inhabited the Island, due to Cuba's lack of precious metals and a stagnant economy.[2] But by the 1640's, a socio-political change took place as semi-feudal settlements in Cuba gave way to plantation agriculture. It was upon sugar that Cuba was constructed. It was because of sugar, that liberation was denied. The expansion of sugar production propelled the rapid growth of the slave labor in the colony and the rise of capitalism in Spain. Hence, slavery occurred in the peripheral economy due to the development of capitalism in the European center. By the 1830's, Cuba, the "jewel of the Spanish Crown," had become the largest single producer of cane sugar in the world. [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]S[/font]