• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

What's high IQ theory saying?

iamnewhere

Going to do 2 days on here, I've lurked here and on the old site maybe 10 times over the past few years and always find it amusing.

Anyway, I'm probably nothing on some of you IQcels but I scored a 161 in my Mensa test (Cattell III B) when I was ~14/15 (24 now). Can't prove the score but can post a pic of my membership card / folder if you want (proves a 148 at least - entry standard).

Most my grade at school did it and by and large the high scores had no correlation popularity / social skill.

That said, I seem to be able to form logical connections far faster than most people and see the 'bigger picture' very quickly - that's to say I'm very strong in deductive reasoning. It was only really when I was in college and saw a lot of workers with top grades struggle to make the connections that I wondered if it was linked to IQ.

What are the theories on here about it? From my experience I'd say low inhibition > all (when all else is equal). If high IQ trends toward high inhib (I believe it might) then it's not ideal.

Amud

Banned
IQ tests mainly measure your processing speed and short-term memory. Sure, they might claim to measure your ability to solve logic puzzles, find patterns and things like that but the problem is that they are timed, which means the limiting factor is your processing speed and not your actual problem-solving capacity. 

There is a certain type of person who is at a disadvantage in the dating scene due to obsessive thinking, high inhibition, strong interest in intellectual subjects, and so on. A lot of people with high IQ's fit this description, but not all do. All things being equal, having a strong memory and processing speed is going to be helpful in all areas of life, social life included. There are plenty of people with high IQ's who are not intellectual nor deep thinkers. They have high IQ's because their brains are genetically healthy. The typical Chads, frat boys, and so on probably tend to have above-average IQ's.

gaunt

Machine
on PSL, low IQ>high IQ

morons are more happy go lucky and low inhibition

99% of users here only care about sex due to missing out on it during the typical development period, intellectual and creative pursuits are seen as a cope/beta waste of time.

Browmog

Regular
Amud said:
IQ tests mainly measure your processing speed and short-term memory. Sure, they might claim to measure your ability to solve logic puzzles, find patterns and things like that but the problem is that they are timed, which means the limiting factor is your processing speed and not your actual problem-solving capacity. 

There is a certain type of person who is at a disadvantage in the dating scene due to obsessive thinking, high inhibition, strong interest in intellectual subjects, and so on. A lot of people with high IQ's fit this description, but not all do. All things being equal, having a strong memory and processing speed is going to be helpful in all areas of life, social life included. There are plenty of people with high IQ's who are not intellectual nor deep thinkers. They have high IQ's because their brains are genetically healthy. The typical Chads, frat boys, and so on probably tend to have above-average IQ's.

Could you be such person with lower IQ (as in processing speed and short term memory)?

Professor P

Banned
iamnewhere said:
Going to do 2 days on here, I've lurked here and on the old site maybe 10 times over the past few years and always find it amusing.

Anyway, I'm probably nothing on some of you IQcels but I scored a 161 in my Mensa test (Cattell III B) when I was ~14/15 (24 now). Can't prove the score but can post a pic of my membership card / folder if you want (proves a 148 at least - entry standard).

Most my grade at school did it and by and large the high scores had no correlation popularity / social skill.

That said, I seem to be able to form logical connections far faster than most people and see the 'bigger picture' very quickly - that's to say I'm very strong in deductive reasoning. It was only really when I was in college and saw a lot of workers with top grades struggle to make the connections that I wondered if it was linked to IQ.

What are the theories on here about it? From my experience I'd say low inhibition > all (when all else is equal). If high IQ trends toward high inhib (I believe it might) then it's not ideal.

For those who don't know, Cattell uses SD's of 24, which means a Cattell 148 is a SB 132 and a Wechsler 130 and a Cattell 161 is a Wechsler (most common IQ test today) 138 or a little over 99th percentile. That's the problem with sharing your IQ score. It's like saying that thing over there is "100 tall." 100 what? Inches? Centimeters? Miles?

The scores DO have a correlation to social skills, albeit a small one.

RememberMew

Regular
High IQ is a major asset if you're also high EQ/low inhibition. Otherwise it's borderline useless.

gaunt said:
on PSL, low IQ>high IQ

morons are more happy go lucky and low inhibition

99% of users here only care about sex due to missing out on it during the typical development period, intellectual and creative pursuits are seen as a cope/beta waste of time.

Fuck that noise.

Amud

Banned
Browmog said:
Amud said:

Could you be such person with lower IQ (as in processing speed and short term memory)?
Yes, although I would think it's quite rare for people with actual low (ie. below average) IQ's. It could be possible if a person has a specific learning disability that causes them to score poorly on IQ tests or if they had damage to a certain part of their brain.

Professor P said:
IQ tests mainly measure your processing speed and short-term memory. 

No, that's just a small segment of IQ tests.

Only a small segment tests them directly, but they are the limiting factor in almost any timed test. I believe that is the primary reason for subtests correlating with each other.

profound

Joke
don't humble yourself. iq is everything. i would be a 3/10 for legit 160iq.

RememberMew

Regular
profound said:

While I wouldn't sacrifice my IQ to stop being ugly, it still sucks. But that's probably just because I'm a narcissist.

Professor P

Banned
profound said:

He has a legit 138 IQ 

1/31560 is 196 on Cattell

iamnewhere

Professor P said:
iamnewhere said:

What are the theories on here about it? From my experience I'd say low inhibition > all  (when all else is equal). If high IQ trends toward high inhib (I believe it might) then it's not ideal.

For those who don't know, Cattell uses SD's of 24, which means a Cattell 148 is a SB 132 and a Wechsler 130 and a Cattell 161 is a Wechsler (most common IQ test today) 138 or a little over 99th percentile. That's the problem with sharing your IQ score. It's like saying that thing over there is "100 tall." 100 what? Inches? Centimeters? Miles?

The scores DO have a correlation to social skills, albeit a small one.

Yeah, should have mentioned that. Most the 160 claims online are from the Cattell. I wouldn't mind sitting a Wechsler at some point because I remember messing around with my shoe towards the end of the test I did and reckon I pretty much maxed it (I think you can score a 162 at 14/15, but as an adult 161 is the highest). 

Professor P said:
profound said:

He has a legit 138 IQ 

1/31560 is 196 on Cattell

Yeah I usually say 140 - that's a 165 Cattell equivalent (although they only go up to 161/162 depending on age iirc). I think that's reasonable. I'd be interested to see what I'd get on the Wechsler if I had a proper go at it.