What makes people photogenic?

iamnewhere

Long time casual lurker, never thought I'd post on here but I reckon you guys can help me out.

A few days ago I met an absolute stunner on a night out. She looked insane - easily the best looking girl in a high end club. I then looked at her photos the next day and whilst she's still hot (maybe an 8), she loses at least a point. I met up with her again last night wary that I might just have been a bit drunk, but no, she was possibly better than I remember. A mate of mine is a successful male model (signed to big agencies, 6 years into his career, few decent campaigns and been 'optioned' for a few major ones but no luck so far) and he's always said to me that models invariably look far better in pictures, and you either go one way or the other. I mean he looks almost unreal in 9/10 photos, but in person he's just a very good looking dude.

In motion and in the flesh I'm a good looking guy. Since around the age of 14 (was awkward looking prior) I've been reminded of that practically every day. If alcohol's involved and I'm talking to somebody (male or female) it will almost certainly be mentioned and once it is I'll stand there for a minute whilst everyone observes and critiques my face. I actually found out about this site a few years back when I was on omegle and some dude said I should come on here (well the old site) and troll - he said I was an 8.5 with potential to be a 9+, and I'm a fair bit better looking now than I was then.

In photos however I'll readily admit that I go to shit. It's not that I'm ugly, but everyone - even my grandma - has made a comment about how different I look, and if I'm not careful I can look like an absolute goon. Taking a good photo is a lottery for me, and even when I take a good one it doesn't look how I look in motion / the mirror. Even the facial expressions I make in photos which look bad (extreme smiling etc) look good in video. On tinder my pictures are pretty solid and get plenty of comments / matches, yet nearly every date I go on the girl mentions me looking much better in person.

Are there any theories on here about what makes somebody photogenic, or why most people seem to be either better in the flesh or on camera?

EdSheeran

Rotter
asymmetry
its not noticeable in motion but it is pictures

Danny the chav

Champion
Symmetry.

Good looking on pics=good symmetry

Only good looking irl=masculine/ruggedly hajdsome/rough around the edges but still has good features

iamnewhere

Starcrazy said:
good ratios and forward growth

My ratios are pretty bang on - long ramus, strong cheek bones (get them and jaw mentioned a lot), very good chin projection. Thirds are pretty well balanced with lower third edging it. Decent forward growth.

Danny the chav said:
Symmetry.

Good looking on pics=good symmetry

Only good looking irl=masculine/ruggedly hajdsome/rough around the edges but still has good features

I think symmetry might be it, although a fair few models are noticeably very assymetrical. One side of my jaw is slightly stronger than the other from chewing on that side too much, and one eye is perhaps a bit 'tighter' than the other (the side with the stronger jaw muscle), but irl I get called 'pretty' a hell of a lot. The other night I was in a club and this very drunk girl (very good looking though) started talking to me and said 'you're so pretty' and I said something like 'that a good thing?' and she goes 'yeah, but too pretty's intimidating'. I wouldn't say I'm rugged. Jaw and cheek bones are strong / broad, but nose is a bit thinner, and eyes aren't that hooded / I have long eyelashes. Meh.

If I had to guess I'd say my eyes look far worse in photos and nose is maybe a little asymmetrical.