what makes a compact face?

eliasisdope

Coper
ive been confused on what makes a compact midface is it a short philtrum? or is it eyes being lower on your head? or a combination of both?

Britcel

Gigachad
if u want a really compact face u need to lay down under a moving bus

Hazuki-san

Coper
Literally having short maxilla and nasal bones (this yields low upper facial height).

Badface

Slayer
Yeah, usually people with compact faces have a relatively wide midface (broad cheekbones) , short nose, and forward growth. People with long faces usually have the opposite (flat cheeks, narrow midface, long nose). Either one can look bad if taken to the extreme. If I could choose I would pick the compact face tho. It also looks better in pictures because selfies/close up pics narrow and lengthen the face.

Hazuki-san

Coper
Dentist said:
Having a short maxilla is the worst thing a guy can have though. It makes you look toothless and childlike 

The face should have a proportionate maxilla that lets you show 2-3mm of incisor at rest and a nice full display of teeth and 1 or 2mm of gingiva when smiling
:cope2: 

This is not true. Having a short maxilla is the main driving force in having a short midface and also having a face with a high FWHR (excluding some extreme outliers with 170 mm bizygomatic breadths or something crazy like that). Almost everyone who has a high FWHR has a short midface and a short maxilla.

DestroyedLife

Banned
Dentist said:
Hazuki-san said:
:cope2: 

This is not true. Having a short maxilla is the main driving force in having a short midface and also having a face with a high FWHR (excluding some extreme outliers with 170 mm bizygomatic breadths or something crazy like that). Almost everyone who has a high FWHR has a short midface and a short maxilla.

Left = short upper jaw
Right = proportionate upper jaw

One looks terrible, one looks good. 
Every good looking person has a proportionate maxilla vertically and horizontally.
Tbh i have same tooth display as the right person, you can even see some lower teeth when i smile and my midface length is like 60 mm+ forward grown maxilla. But i agree with you that it makes you look childlike when you have the wrong phenotype.