• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

US users that don't tip the mailman, explain something to me

Reflex

PSL Hall of Fame
do you have the equivalent of national insurance in your country?

Dirty Blond

Rotter
Christmas gifts are customary, but the USPS is a good job that's almost impossible to be fired from, with great benefits that are the envy of their competitors. Tipping isn't necessary.

Do you tip your bartender, waiter, cab driver, barber, parking valet, grocery bagger, hotel maid, pizza delivery guy?

Reflex

PSL Hall of Fame
Dirty Blond said:
Christmas gifts are customary, but the USPS is a good job that's almost impossible to be fired from, with great benefits that are the envy of their competitors. Tipping isn't necessary.

Do you tip your bartender, waiter, cab driver, barber, parking valet, grocery bagger, hotel maid, pizza delivery guy?

what in the fuck are you talking about

i asked if you pay national insurance equivalence

Dirty Blond

Rotter
Reflex said:
Dirty Blond said:

I am a little confused. Do you mean unemployment compensation or an old age pension?

Reflex

PSL Hall of Fame
Dirty Blond said:
Reflex said:

I am a little confused. Do you mean unemployment compensation or an old age pension?

its an amount you pay when earning, on top of taxes

its like 2k here

it helps for old peoples pensions i think

Dirty Blond

Rotter
Ah, OK. 

We have a retirement program called Social Security. A little bit of money gets taken out of each pay check (cheque?) to fund it.

Reflex

PSL Hall of Fame
deadinsidedeadoutside said:
rofl who the fuck tips the mailman, its his fucking job to deliver mail

errr everyone?

you idiots tip your barber and you don't tip the mailman?

ok

Married Oldcell

Regular
In the US, barbers are service industry employees. Most employees of this type rely on tips as part of their wages. There are different setups (renting a chair and being self-employed versus being an employee, etc), so it varies. But generally, people who are tipped in the US make less than minimum wage, and the users of their services subsidize their wages.

In the US, being a postal carrier is actually a pretty competitive job with good pay (for the skill level/responsibility) and benefits. If you are working class or barely middle class, your mailman definitely makes more money than you, has better benefits and retirement, etc. They make more than many small-town lawyers and probably some doctors. Individual users of the mail service are not expected to subsidize their wages in the way they do for waiters and hair cutters. You tip people who provide you a personal service periodically, but not people who perform a mass job every day and are paid a significant salary. That's just the setup we have and the economics of it here. 

Also, as far as I know postal employees are not supposed to accept cash tips. The last time I checked, the guidelines said handmade gifts or things of small nominal value are OK.