The size of the jaw - Question

First, I dont get the evolutionary and selection advantage of a strong/prominent square jaw. Can anyone explain that. Doesn't the length of the jawline matter far more? Some people don't have a prominent jaw from the front but when observed from the side the jaw is rather long and big. I know that defined chickbones indicate fighting capability of the individual and the fact that this individual can take more punches, thus the evolutionary advantage and preference of women for defined, pronounced chickbones. I understand that high fhwr and short face matters because men with such faces seem more strong, intimidating but strong jawline? How does the jaw intimidate other men, because I don't see any evolutionary advantage in it. And if it mattered wouldn't the length of the jaw be more important rather than its frontal square shape? ​

PRYGOD

Coper
eating is a primary function of any organism and is important for its survival so a well developed jaw indicates the person has good masticatory function and therefore able to effectively eat whatever he/she wants with ease.

Wasted Youth said:
Women are attracted to large jaws for the same reason that female birds are attracted to male birds with beautiful plumage. Put simply, It's attractive because it serves no practical purpose. It's simply ornate. 

If you are sick or malnourished as a child, your body will reserve its energy for the most fundamental tasks, for a basic level of survival. 

If you are healthy, your body can afford to expend energy on less important tasks such as developing a large jaw. 

Therefore a large jaw is a sign of having a healthy immune system during development. 

The same applies to peacock feathers.

[hr]
Happy Go Lucky said:
Strong jawline means strong sexual dimorphism and high T (masc male characteristics).

This is obviously true, but testosterone is attractive not only because it's dimorphic. 

Testosterone is actually an immune suppressant

Therefore, weak, sickly bodies produce less testosterone as a defense mechanism in order to preserve themselves.

Strong bodies with good immune systems can "handle" testosterone better, without becoming compromised. They produce more T because they can afford to do so. 

Therefore high t = good immune system
How long is a good jawline?
[hr]
PRYGOD said:
eating is a primary function of any organism and is important for its survival so a well developed jaw indicates the person has good masticatory function and therefore able to effectively eat whatever he/she wants with ease.
Are you trying to say that men who can open their mouths wider and broader are more attractive to women? It would also mean that men (hominid ancestors) with prominent, wider jaws could bite firmer and larger surface area of opponents.

Ascent

Normie
UglyPolitician said:
Hey nerds! Tell me the length in cm of a good jaw.
Impossible since it will vary by height.

A 6'5" guy with a godly jaw might get mogged by a 5'8" guy with an even better jaw, but the 5'8" guy's jaw is obviously smaller (in absolute terms, proportionally it may be bigger). 

Depends.