• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

The Physical Attractiveness Phenomena (1985)

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion

Despite being rather obsolete and not groundbreaking by any means, the book is still a fairly good source of the summarized observation related to looks (across different spheres). On the other side, its obsoleteness provides a point of reference of the "static" phenomena vs. social engineering-induced ones - you can compare what is still actual and what has been long gone (racial preference, etc.).

The author sourced hundreds of papers to paraphrase and unify the available findings. 

Some snippets:

carl

Regular
the female subjects gave race more weight than physical attractiveness, but the male subjects gave physical attractiveness more weight than race.

holy shit the race pill. this book seems way ahead of its time.

BlueBalls

Machine
I wonder if the bias against certain races has changed since 1985, I'm sure it has though perhaps not to become more inclusive.

carl

Regular
BlueBalls said:
I wonder if the bias against certain races has changed since 1985, I'm sure it has though perhaps not to become more inclusive.

doubt it

Santeria

Regular
you weirdos are obsessed with reading about looks and attraction.

i need to write a book and include everything everyone already knows to make a quick buck off you schmucks

ThatDude

Joke
Helping Behavior

The physical attractiveness of help seekers is not a neutral variable, nor is it neutral for help providers. Researchers in Israel found that subjects sought more assistance from helpers who were lower in physical attractiveness but only when the help seekers and givers were of the same sex (Nadler, Shapira, & Ben-Itzhak, 1982). Explanations of this apparent reversal of the physical attractiveness phenomena can be interpreted as due to social distance and hesitation to approach those of higher physical attractiveness. With opposite sex dyads, the results were mixed. The male subjects sought more help from female providers of lower physical attractiveness, whereas female subjects sought less help from male providers of lower physical attractiveness.

wow. thank you for this.
I saved this in my "Life Lessons" Note.

legit post

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion
There are few pages in the book dedicated to height as well:

Some snippet:

rigidity

Regular
I've read his book before.   As someone who already has to read piles of academic papers to stay on top of developments in my field, he couldn't hold my interest with his overly academic prose with citations every other sentence.   It read like a lit review paper, not a book. 

He might be right but he needs to cool it with the academic prose.

dat feel

PSL Hall of Fame
holy fuck this is the thread of the year

these are the kind of threads that made puahate so awesome back in the day, there was very little trolling and shitposting, only academic knowledge and MM experiments

post more

all these are nuclear pills

if this doesn't make incels go ER nothing will

it's far more over for you than you thought buddy boyos

Presence

Joke
:clap:

Great thread we need more content like this if we want to make this place legitimized

kunikus

Can you remember a single op from this guy
"If the Coolidge effect helps explain why men are attracted to
women whose attractive appearance varies, often the ‘‘contrast effect’’
confirms what many people consider their most important
high school lesson: If you’re an average Joe trying to put the moves
on that cute girl in history class, don’t do your number while in the
company of your handsome, muscular pals from the varsity football
squad.

Or, as one research study put it, ‘‘When viewed in conjunction
with highly attractive others, a person of average attractiveness may
be judged less attractive than had the person been evaluated without