The influence of genetic factors on Motivation

[font=merriweatherregular,serif]“We found that there are personality differences that people inherit that have a major impact on motivation,” Petrill said. “That doesn’t mean we don’t try to encourage and inspire students, but we have to deal with the reality of why they’re different. We should absolutely encourage students and motivate them in the classroom. But these findings suggest the mechanisms for how we do that may be more complicated than we had previously thought.”[/font]
[font=merriweatherregular,serif]It turns out the identical twins’ answers were more closely matched than fraternal twins', suggesting genes rule academic impetus.[/font]
[font=merriweatherregular,serif] The findings suggest a more complex learning system than just who got the better teacher or whose parents are more involved during homework time. While a particular set of genes may motivate a child to learn, the researchers said it won't determine how much that child will enjoy it. Individual personalities and preferences still hold weight in determining that.[/font]
[font=georgia,]They found dozens of genes that differed between the two groups.[/font]
[font=georgia,]The rats’ decision to run or not to run, in other words, was being driven, at least in part, by the genetics of motivation.[/font]
[font=georgia,]What this study means for those of us with two legs and many excuses for not making it to the gym is not yet clear. “It does seem likely that there is a genetic element to the motivation to exercise,” in people as well as in rats, says Frank Booth, a professor of physiology at the University of Missouri who oversaw the study.[/font]
[font=Arial,sans-serif]By studying a population of rats over ten generations, researchers came to the conclusion that there is such a thing as a genetic predisposition to laziness, at least among rodents. The study was conducted by Franck W. Booth and Michael D. Roberts of the University of Missouri's College of Veterinary Medicine and the results were published in the latest issue of the American Journal of Physiology.[/font]
Another study on motivation can be found here, but it's kinda long:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3055524/

I'll have to search more studies.

However, the genetics, as you may know(genetics vs environment debate), are not 100 % responsible for motivation, but it has a considerable impact on it.

I guess I can't blame my laziness 100 % on genes :ugh:

@Anakind