Study about how lefort 1 affect the eye area

paulus

Banned
Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
[size=small]January 2014, Vol.72(1)http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/02782391/72/1:166.e1166.e5, doi:10.1016/j.joms.2013.09.025
[/size]

Craniomaxillofacial deformities/cosmetic surgery
Change in Inferior Sclera Exposure Following Le Fort I Osteotomy in Patients With Midfacial Retrognathia
  • Sidika Sinem Soydan DDS, PhD
  • Burak Bayram DDS, PhD
  • Sina Uckan DDS, PhD
[size=small]Show morehttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239113012147#[/size]
[hr]
[size=medium]Check for full text accesshttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239113012147PurchaseSFX Context Sensitive LinkingGet Full Text Elsewhere[/size]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]Purpose[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]For facial esthetic reasons, no sclera should be exposed above or below the irises when the head of a patient who has a normal skeletal pattern is in a neutral position and the eyelids are in a relaxed position. This study evaluated the decrease in sclera exposure after maxillary advancement or impaction in patients with midfacial hypoplasia.[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]Patients and Methods[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]Forty-seven consecutive patients (24 male, 23 female) who underwent Le Fort I osteotomy were included. The patients were divided into 2 groups according to type of maxillary movement: group I underwent maxillary advancement (n = 23) and group II underwent maxillary advancement and impaction surgery (n = 24). Standardized preoperative and 6-month postoperative photographs of the frontal view of patients were evaluated using Adobe Photoshop CS5. The proportion of inferior sclera exposure to eye height was determined, and the proportional difference between the preoperative and postoperative orbital views was statistically analyzed.[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]Results[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]The proportion of inferior sclera exposure to eye height decreased by a ratio of 0.07 (P = .001) in the right and left eyes of the 47 patients, with an average maxillary advancement of 6.1 mm. The proportion of inferior sclera exposure to eye height of the right and left eyes decreased from 0.1 to 0.02 and from 0.09 to 0.02, respectively, in group I (P = .001). The proportion of inferior sclera exposure to eye height decreased in group II by a ratio of 0.06 in the right and left eyes (P = .001).[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]Conclusion[/font]

[font=Open Sans', Verdana, Helvetica, 'Sans Serif]Inferior sclera exposure in patients with midfacial hypoplasia and retrognathia decreases significantly in accordance with the change in the lower eyelid position after maxillary advancement or impaction surgeries.[/font]

[hr]
Pics: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239113012147

paulus

Banned
Dentist said:
any pic? do u have to pay?
Click on the link and u get pics. Anyway mod lefort 3 is better if you want to improve the eye area but its stil a nice feature of the lefort 1

paulus

Banned
Dentist said:
Fffs how to get the full article s?
[hr]
paulus said:
Click on the link and u get pics. Anyway mod lefort 3 is better if you want to improve the eye area but its stil a nice feature of the lefort 1
i need ideal picture size tho
:turban:

paulus

Banned
Move this into the lookmaxing/aesthetic section tbh @"elm"

so my ortho didn't just harm my eye area through the associated cheekbone rape but directly through the primary maxilla rape as well

:crying:

OccamsRazorBurn

Gigachad
Found another study on Lefort I's affect on scleral show:

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=small]J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Sep;73(9):1809-15. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2015.02.016. Epub 2015 Feb 26.
Individuals With a Long Face Growth Pattern and Excess Inferior Scleral Exposure: Is There Improvement After Maxillary (Le Fort I) Advancement and Vertical Shortening?
Posnick JC1, Sami A2.
[size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]Author information[/font]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25964213#[/size]

Abstract
PURPOSE:
Excessive inferior eyelid scleral exposure is considered an unattractive facial feature. The purpose of this study was to identify those patients with long face and excess inferior scleral exposure and then assess the change after maxillary (Le Fort I) advancement and vertical shortening.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
To address the research purpose, the authors executed a retrospective case series study. A consecutive series of patients with a long face growth pattern scheduled for orthognathic correction were identified. Standardized photographs were used to document those with excess lower eyelid scleral show. Those patients with excess scleral show were studied to document any change in sclera show before and more than 1 year after maxillary (Le Fort I) osteotomy with advancement and vertical shortening. The pre- and postoperative proportional values of sclera show were compared using the Wilcoxon signed-rank test (P < .05). Analytic model planning documented maxillary vector change data points as an indicator of maxillary deformity and the extent of horizontal advancement and vertical shortening to be achieved at operation.
RESULTS:
The study group of 10 patients (7 female and 3 male) with excess scleral show was derived from a larger group of 46 patients with long face. Their ages ranged from 15 to 35 years at operation (mean, 23 yr). Maxillary surgical change averaged 6-mm advancement at the incisors (range, 4 to 10 mm), 3-mm vertical shortening at the incisors (range, 1 to 6 mm), and 3-mm vertical shortening at the molars (range, 1 to 6 mm). Average decreases in scleral show of 8 and 6% compared with total eye height were noted in the right and left eyes, respectively. These results were statistically significant (P < .05). Four of the 10 patients achieved complete correction of inferior sclera exposure. All 10 achieved a decrease of their total eye height. None of the patients required or requested further cosmetic improvement in the zygomatico-orbital skeletal or adnexal soft tissue region.
CONCLUSION:
For the individual with a long face jaw growth pattern and pre-existing excessive lower eyelid sclera show, surgical correction through maxillary advancement and vertical shortening will create a more favorable relation among the orbits, ocular globes, and lower eyelids.[/font][/size]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25964213

TL;DR: SURPRISE! SURGERY WORKS!

minarima

Cuck
OccamsRazorBurn said:
Found another study on Lefort I's affect on scleral show:

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=small]J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Sep;73(9):1809-15. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2015.02.016. Epub 2015 Feb 26.
Individuals With a Long Face Growth Pattern and Excess Inferior Scleral Exposure: Is There Improvement After Maxillary (Le Fort I) Advancement and Vertical Shortening?
Posnick JC1, Sami A2.
[size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]Author information[/font]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25964213#[/size]

Abstract
PURPOSE:
Excessive inferior eyelid scleral exposure is considered an unattractive facial feature. The purpose of this study was to identify those patients with long face and excess inferior scleral exposure and then assess the change after maxillary (Le Fort I) advancement and vertical shortening.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
To address the research purpose, the authors executed a retrospective case series study. A consecutive series of patients with a long face growth pattern scheduled for orthognathic correction were identified. Standardized photographs were used to document those with excess lower eyelid scleral show. Those patients with excess scleral show were studied to document any change in sclera show before and more than 1 year after maxillary (Le Fort I) osteotomy with advancement and vertical shortening. The pre- and postoperative proportional values of sclera show were compared using the Wilcoxon signed-rank test (P < .05). Analytic model planning documented maxillary vector change data points as an indicator of maxillary deformity and the extent of horizontal advancement and vertical shortening to be achieved at operation.
RESULTS:
The study group of 10 patients (7 female and 3 male) with excess scleral show was derived from a larger group of 46 patients with long face. Their ages ranged from 15 to 35 years at operation (mean, 23 yr). Maxillary surgical change averaged 6-mm advancement at the incisors (range, 4 to 10 mm), 3-mm vertical shortening at the incisors (range, 1 to 6 mm), and 3-mm vertical shortening at the molars (range, 1 to 6 mm). Average decreases in scleral show of 8 and 6% compared with total eye height were noted in the right and left eyes, respectively. These results were statistically significant (P < .05). Four of the 10 patients achieved complete correction of inferior sclera exposure. All 10 achieved a decrease of their total eye height. None of the patients required or requested further cosmetic improvement in the zygomatico-orbital skeletal or adnexal soft tissue region.
CONCLUSION:
For the individual with a long face jaw growth pattern and pre-existing excessive lower eyelid sclera show, surgical correction through maxillary advancement and vertical shortening will create a more favorable relation among the orbits, ocular globes, and lower eyelids.[/font][/size]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25964213

TL;DR: SURPRISE! SURGERY WORKS!
I had Lefort 1 advancement 9 weeks ago and it didn't change my eyes..

paulus

Banned
@"minarima"

No offense brah but u only had 5mm advancement

OccamsRazorBurn

Gigachad
paulus said:
Dentist said:
any pic? do u have to pay?
Abstract of a study suggesting this:

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol.[/font][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif] 2015 Aug;120(2):119-24.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2015.04.005. Epub 2015 Apr 24.[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Changes in scleral exposure following modified Le Fort III osteotomy.
Magraw CB1, Garaas R1, Shaw A1, Phillips C2, Turvey TA3.
[size=small][font=arial, sans-serif]Author information[/font]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26166028#

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
The Kufner modified Le Fort III osteotomy (LFIII) can be used to address midface deficiency, which is often accompanied by excessive scleral exposure. The purpose of this project is to analyze the changes in scleral exposure after a LFIII.
METHODS:
Thirteen patients with midface hypoplasia were treated with LFIII. Scleral surface area (SSA) was determined by pixel count and the distance from the inferior eyelid margin to the center of the pupil (MED) was measured pre- and postoperatively. Intraclass correlation coefficients were calculated to assess measurement reliability and repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA) were determined to assess systematic difference among the replicates.
RESULTS:
The interquartile range for change in SSA ranged from -31% to -7%, median 20% (P = .002) and the interquartile range for change in MED ranged from -21% to -12%, median -18% (P = .0002).
CONCLUSIONS:
SSA and MED can be reliably determined using the aforementioned method. The LFIII decreases scleral exposure.[/font][/size]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26166028