some observations about astaxanthin and carotenoids

highinhibcel

Incel
I was on astaxanthin for two weeks, then stopped. The redness persisted for about a week before going away. When I started taking it again, I saw redness hours after the first dose, but it faded away within 48 hours. There seem to be two processes occurring simultaneously: a slow accumulation that occurs over the course of days, and an immediate redness that occurs within hours of taking a dose and fades away quickly.

The body only seems to be able to process so much carotenoid at a time. When I take astaxanthin alone, I see a significant increase in redness a few hours later, but when I take it with other carotenoids, I see little immediate redness or none at all. 

I only see an immediate change in color with astaxanthin. Beta carotene takes days of accumulation to start showing up in the skin.

Does anybody have observations that support or contradict what I've found?

lltvyr

Slayer
Wow! That means astaxanthin is the most efficient. Thanks! If it only was cheaper... I'm taking lycopene only now, but I used to take it with carotene. The carotene has almost faded away I guess with like a month of not taking anymore and I don't know if lycopene has had any effect. I've taken it for almost half a year now. I look rather pale imo.

highinhibcel

Incel
lltvyr said:
Wow! That means astaxanthin is the most efficient. Thanks! If it only was cheaper... I'm taking lycopene only now, but I used to take it with carotene. The carotene has almost faded away I guess with like a month of not taking anymore and I don't know if lycopene has had any effect. I've taken it for almost half a year now. I look rather pale imo.
In my experience, lycopene makes you orange. If you want actual redness, you need astaxanthin. If you're very pale, a low dose of melenotan would probably be more effective than carotenoids.

lltvyr

Slayer
highinhibcel said:
lltvyr said:
In my experience, lycopene makes you orange. If you want actual redness, you need astaxanthin. If you're very pale, a low dose of melenotan would probably be more effective than carotenoids.
carotene makes orange, doesn't it? lycopene is tomato and should be red

highinhibcel

Incel
lltvyr said:
highinhibcel said:
Yeah, beta carotene makes you yellow-orange. The color from lycopene is darker and more orange/red and less yellow compared to beta carotene, but it's not pure red. Astaxanthin is the reddest carotenoid. 

But I'm not claiming perfect accuracy. This is just from personal observations.

If you look at these tomatoes, there's a pretty strong orange tint.
[img=524x393]http://davisgardenshow.com/images/TomatoEarlyGirl.jpg[/img]

highinhibcel said:
lltvyr said:
Yeah, beta carotene makes you yellow-orange. The color from lycopene is darker and more orange/red and less yellow compared to beta carotene, but it's not pure red. Astaxanthin is the reddest carotenoid. 

But I'm not claiming perfect accuracy. This is just from personal observations.

If you look at these tomatoes, there's a pretty strong orange tint.
[img=524x393]http://davisgardenshow.com/images/TomatoEarlyGirl.jpg[/img]
Lol evidence right there :p Now I think about it, the slight redness from astaxanthin disappeared fast once I stopped taking it. But my carotenosis is still there like a bitch

rotpill

Subhuman
Actually, beta-carotene is converted to Vitamin A (Retinol) by demand, while Astaxanthin is not converted at all. This is the reason you might be unable to accumulate enough beta-carotene for skin color. Competitive effects like you describe them might be possible too, if you're actually saturated on retinoids.

Brostorm

Normie
Redness is not that good IMO. Id rather have orange glow. 

Fucoxanthin has similar effects to beta carotene and has been proven to reduce weight in clinical studies. So you get double benefit from a single supp.

Legalizer

Banned
I get antaxanthin from Krill Oil. You also get DHA and EPA. 
This stuff is good, you get way less sunburn when on it

Aim for 1,000 for DHA and EPA combined