ZuaGoidern

Cuck
Under 18
Well, under certain circumstances it might work

he had good occlusion which was still good even after anterior impaction
But usually, those who need jaw surgery usually have shit teeth too

albert_camus

Coper

b-b-but my bite is f-f-fine s-s-surely i dont need jaw surgery. r-right g-guys? guys?

:bale:

Surgerymax

confirmed surgeon

how common is that? i heard even with fine bite many surgeons like to put on braces before for stabilisation...

and are there any other limitations when go for surgery without braces

@Surgerymax
Aesthetic jaw surgery in people who already have a good bite (good alignment and no dental compensation) can usually avoid braces altogether.

sometimes people have good alignment after their initial round of braces but have a compensated bite where teeth are pro lined outward to meet the teeth of the opposing jaw in order to avoid jaw surgery. In these cases it’s best to go through orthodontic decompensation so you can have jaws moved forward maximumly or most aesthetically.

surgery first is also an option most of the time. In many cases it makes more sense because teeth actually move faster after jaw surgery.

lester

Incel
Aesthetic jaw surgery in people who already have a good bite (good alignment and no dental compensation) can usually avoid braces altogether.

sometimes people have good alignment after their initial round of braces but have a compensated bite where teeth are pro lined outward to meet the teeth of the opposing jaw in order to avoid jaw surgery. In these cases it’s best to go through orthodontic decompensation so you can have jaws moved forward maximumly or most aesthetically.

surgery first is also an option most of the time. In many cases it makes more sense because teeth actually move faster after jaw surgery.
what about the relapse rate? how do they even stabilize the bite after surgery without braces?

can you do (counter)clockwise movements without surgery?

Surgerymax

confirmed surgeon
what about the relapse rate? how do they even stabilize the bite after surgery without braces?

can you do (counter)clockwise movements without surgery?
dental movement and skeletal movements as well as dental/orthodontic relapse and skeletal relapse are two different things.

Even if one is not in braces maxillomandibular fixation can still be achieved using an archbar like the Erich archbar with elastics or Intermaxillary Fixation screws (IMF Screws).

You will always have some orthodontic relapse after braces come off and some skeletal relapse (1 or 2mm) after jaw surgery. While a 6mm BSSO may relapse a mm or even less, a 11mm BSSO may relapse 2mm.

No you cannot achieve rotation without surgery.

lester

Incel
dental movement and skeletal movements as well as dental/orthodontic relapse and skeletal relapse are two different things.

Even if one is not in braces maxillomandibular fixation can still be achieved using an arch at like the Erich archbar with elastics or Intermaxillary Fixation screws (IMF Screws).

You will always have some orthodontic relapse after braces come off and some skeletal relapse (1 or 2mm) after jaw surgery. While a 6mm BSSO may relapse a mm or even less, a 11mm BSSO may relapse 2mm.

No you cannot achieve rotation without surgery.

yes. thank you very much.

i wanted to write " can you do (counter)clockwise movements without braces" but accidentaly wrote surgery. i assume yes?

Surgerymax

confirmed surgeon
yes. thank you very much.

i wanted to write " can you do (counter)clockwise movements without braces" but accidentaly wrote surgery. i assume yes?
It depends on your bite and alignment now. But yes it is definitely possible.

justdowhatyouhavetodo

Incel
HBO Manlets
It depends on your bite and alignment now. But yes it is definitely possible.
so this statement u read on another forum isnt necesseraly true?

"
It doesn't matter if you bite is fine now. The only way you won't need braces for surgery, is if:
-No rotations are performed, or the rotation of the mandible and maxilla is 1:1.
-If only linear advancement is performed, it is an equal amount in regard to the maxilla and mandible.

My bite is fine but I'm getting braces. Because my mandible is being rotated a certain amount, and my maxilla is being rotated a certain amount in the opposite direction"

Surgerymax

confirmed surgeon
so this statement u read on another forum isnt necesseraly true?

"
It doesn't matter if you bite is fine now. The only way you won't need braces for surgery, is if:
-No rotations are performed, or the rotation of the mandible and maxilla is 1:1.
-If only linear advancement is performed, it is an equal amount in regard to the maxilla and mandible.

My bite is fine but I'm getting braces. Because my mandible is being rotated a certain amount, and my maxilla is being rotated a certain amount in the opposite direction"
You will most likely still require braces after surgery, even if it is just for a short time. But I'm not an orthodontist.

However Surgery-First is usually an option for aesthetic jaw surgery.

Surgery-Only is very rare.

truthtorpedo

aids test november 2020
HQNP
very interesting topic

its definitely possible to get jaw surgery without braces at all, especially if your bite is fine and you just need advancement. i read about several cases like that on other forums aswell.

My bite is exactly the same as it was pre surgery, just advanced. Only orthodontics was 2 weeks in elastic bands, which is debatable if its even necessary but hey, its only 2 weeks.

what i also find interesting ist that the surgery first method (and braces after) seems more common in europe while surgeons in the USA use to put their patients in braces before and after the surgery

both methods seem to have pros and cons

interesting articel regarding that topic

Rigor Mortis

powder day every day
Prob p rare since most people w class 1 occlusion aren’t getting leforts , plus I think if u get bsso u still need to move teeth to accommodate the fracture most surgeons prefer . There is surgery first approach too but u stil have post op braces

truthtorpedo

aids test november 2020
HQNP
Prob p rare since most people w class 1 occlusion aren’t getting leforts , plus I think if u get bsso u still need to move teeth to accommodate the fracture most surgeons prefer . There is surgery first approach too but u stil have post op braces
if i remember correctly dr sailer claims that if you get jaw surgery with him for sleep apnea you most likely wont need braces

and then we have examples like the op. so its not that unheard of especially in europe