Simple question for mathcels

JustTheWayYouAre

King of Chads
Kundralavires said:
JustTheWayYouAre said:
Thanks, repped. Still no idea how the guy calculated it in the head. He might have simplified it using some geometric manipulation or just used the rigid formulas to find the solution. I guess it's his sky-high IQ.

As a non-math guy, I solved it using the ratio between the provided and calculated areas, yet I am still not satisfied, it's not elegant solution at all.
Your link didn't say anything about the guy being a human calculator, just a mine of info on geography and languages.

And yes, it's not an elegant solution or even method, really, not worth bothering us with.
Yes, I had no idea he is gifted in this regard either. Every time I meet him or hear about him I can't stop WTFing. He supposedly has a 170+ IQ (SD15), but I have never asked him personally.

What's your solution?

Josh

Banned
i did not even read the title or 1 word in this thread

JustTheWayYouAre

King of Chads
looksmaxx said:
1.9  8 char
Well, yeah, what's your algorithm?

The guy was sitting at the table drinking beer and drawing the solution with his finger on the table. Then he calmly said it's 1.898.  

The stemcels couldn't even find a way to calculate it properly or calculate it at all after spending hours thinking about the problem.

:tlol:

ASSOMBROSSO

Banned
JustTheWayYouAre said:
looksmaxx said:
1.9  8 char

The guy was sitting at the table drinking beer and drawing the solution with his finger on the table. Then he calmly said it's 1.898.  

The stemcels couldn't even find a way to calculate it properly or calculate it at all after spending hours thinking about the problem.

what guy who solved it like that???

JustTheWayYouAre

King of Chads
ASSOMBROSSO said:
JustTheWayYouAre said:

what guy who solved it like that???

He isn't a friend of mine, it's just that I hang out with some guys at the pub from time to time and he occasionally arrives as well. Haven't seen him for a while.

I guess he is just a human calculator...
If you did a STEM degree and don’t know how to do this in 5 seconds max (and couple minutes to actually do it) you should off yourself immediately tbh.

JustTheWayYouAre said:
The ratio of sides of the triangle is 5:100:100. The area of the triangle is 36 square meters. Calculate the length of the shortest side.
ratio of sides 5:100:100 ==> isosceles triangle

small side = a
big sides = b
a/b=5/100 ==> b=20a

you know the area, so either use the pythagoras theorem, or the isosceles triangle area formula to find b and a

tbh ngl

ProperPlebiean

Carefree User 😄
Birds
answer is fourth root of 6912/533 ≈ 1.897663175

not kidding

most difficult maths you need is pythagoras and area of triangle formula lmao