Reversing the Effects of Mouth-breathing [Guide]

JFMSU

Coper
I'm making this guide because I would have liked to read something like this when I first found out I was a mouth-breather.

Possible symptoms of mouth-breathing: dorsal hump, recessed jaw, long face, incompetent lips, open bite, sleep apnea, forward head posture, deviated septum

Note: I admit I don't have evidence that mouth-breathing causes these symptoms, it is just my own speculation. Most mouth-breathers do have all those symptoms. Regardless of the cause, these symptoms should be treated because they are shitty to have.

Step 1: Stop mouth-breathing and start nose-breathing. At first this will be hard to do because your mind is used to mouth-breathing and your face has developed to functionally accommodate mouth-breathing.

Keep your mouth shut, put your tongue at the roof of your mouth, and breath through your nose. Start by doing this when you are walking, driving, etc. It will get easier and you will develop the habit. Eventually you can use medical tape to tape your mouth shut at night.

If nose-breathing is too difficult then wait until you've completed some of the next steps and try again.

Step 2: Visit an ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor. Odds are that your airways are not optimal. Tell the doctor you have trouble breathing. Get them to check your nose for a deviated septum. A deviated septum makes it harder to breath through your nose. You can get a septoplasty to fix the deviated septum.

Step 3: Get a sleep study done by a sleep doctor. If you are a mouth-breather and are frequently tired, you likely have sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is caused by a lack of oxygen at night. A lack of oxygen is caused by a narrow airway in your throat. A narrow airway is caused by your recessed jaw. If you are lucky, your government or insurance might cover jaw surgery to treat sleep apnea. One of the most effective treatments for sleep apnea is maxillary mandibular advancement (jaw surgery).

Step 4: Get jaw surgery, regardless of whether you have sleep apnea or not. Jaw surgery is good for both functional and aesthetic reasons. Go to a oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Odds are that you have crooked teeth too, so you'll also have to visit an orthodontist and get braces.

Sleep apnea - cured by the advancement of the maxilla and mandible. 
Long face - reduced by counter clock wise rotation of the maxilla.
Open bite - fixed by counter clock wise rotation of the maxilla.
Incompetent lips - fixed by counter clock wise rotation of the maxilla.

[video=youtube]
Step 5: Get a rhinoplasty to fix your dorsal hump.

Step 6: Upper cross syndrome/Forward head posture

You can try visiting a chiropractor or use google to find exercise guides like this one: 
https://www.theptdc.com/2014/07/upper-crossed-syndrome/

niger

Normie
Do you think a thing like this would be beneficial for better posture. They're very cheap on aliexpress.com

JFMSU

Coper
niger said:
Do you think a thing like this would be beneficial for better posture. They're very cheap on aliexpress.com
i think it would help but you'd still have to do exercises

LegitAspie

Slayer
I still got a crooked nose and narrow face despite nose breathing what a load of shit

JFMSU

Coper
LegitAspie said:
I still got a crooked nose and narrow face despite nose breathing what a load of shit
there can be multiple causes for one symptom you retard. i never claimed that mouthbreathing is the sole cause of a crooked nose

damn brainlets i swear