• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

Rate this photoshop I made

Guy was shopped out of a hunting scene and I composited him onto the background pic. Took me about 40 minutes. Believable?

sephon said:
perspective is slightly off and lighting is a bit off too but it's pleasant 2 look at

yeh I cold have done slightly better, I think the sleeve looks slightly off, and guys back looks too flat, but that could easily be improved. I might post some more shops for realness assessment in the next few days.

White God said:
You have some talent there.

thanks man. Here is the original. the main thing was just getting a non "flat looking" selection around him, and then adjusting the lighting+temperature of the image. My shitty lighting adjustment attempts give him the 'dirt covered back" in the photoshopped image, but I think it actually enhances the realism.

poobear

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
What's your technique? Any tips?

poobear said:

Main thing is to make sure that the two images have extremely similar lighting. You will see that in both images the light come from the top left of the image, and the conditions are overcast. I then use the quick selection or magneti lasso tool to select the subject. I use the refine edge tool to smooth selection edges (avoids rough "shopped" looking edges).

I then cut an paste the subject onto the new background, and use the eraser tool on a low hardness level to erase any traces/leftover parts of the background. The real magic then happens, which involves balancing the colours and image temperatures. All lighting must also be matched, using the dodge/burn tool. I also use th burn tool to create shading on the edges of the subject away from the light, creating a "3d" look. OI also use the blur tool to smooth over any roughness left.

Really though, the main thing is just ensuring that the two images are "compatible" in the first place. It is usually pretty obvious whether or not they will be shopped together seamlessley. The pros (3d spedcial effects specalists), can composite live action onto 3d modeled images, incredible art really.

poobear

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Chris Hemsworth said:
poobear said:

Main thing is to make sure that the two images have extremely similar lighting. You will see that in both images the light come from the top left of the image, and the conditions are overcast. I then use the quick selection or magneti lasso tool to select the subject. I use the refine edge tool to smooth selection edges (avoids rough "shopped" looking edges).

I then cut an paste the subject onto the new background, and use the eraser tool on a low hardness level to erase any traces/leftover parts of the background. The real magic then happens, which involves balancing the colours and image temperatures. All lighting must also be matched, using the dodge/burn tool. I also use th burn tool to create shading on the edges of the subject away from the light, creating a "3d" look. OI also use the blur tool to smooth over any roughness left.

Really though, the main thing is just ensuring that the two images are "compatible" in the first place. It is usually pretty obvious whether or not they will be shopped together seamlessley. The pros (3d spedcial effects specalists), can composite live action onto 3d modeled images, incredible art really.

Simon Nessman said:
Looks like a video game character

The dark patches on his back cause it I think. I kept fucking up the shadows with the burn tool, causing that to occur.