Rate my profile - My nose is a fucking death sentence

modified

hairloss expert
No nose is a death sentence since noses are the easiest thing to fix.

modified

hairloss expert
madmaxmandem said:
Rhino is one of the trickiest cosmetic surgeries, you have to go to an excellent surgeon and hope he doesn't botch it.

The revision rhinoplasty rate is ridiculously high.
MistGeburt3000 said:
lol'd. Even if you go to a top surgeon it will cost <$10k. You can't die from it. You can't end up with joint disability, nerve damage, or chronic pain. Noses are a joke.

Try jaw surgery or leg lengthening and then tell me how hard noses are.

Scar Tissue

Slayer
modified said:
madmaxmandem said:
Rhino is one of the trickiest cosmetic surgeries, you have to go to an excellent surgeon and hope he doesn't botch it.

The revision rhinoplasty rate is ridiculously high.
MistGeburt3000 said:
lol'd. Even if you go to a top surgeon it will cost <$10k. You can't die from it. You can't end up with joint disability, nerve damage, or chronic pain. Noses are a joke.

Try jaw surgery or leg lengthening and then tell me how hard noses are.
Dog you're so bluepilled on rhino. I'm so sick of everyone taking this surgery for granted. Lets go down the list.

Nerve damage: The lateral walls of your nose have 3 bony shelves covered in vascular mucoperichondrium on each side. These are called turbinates or the nasal concha. They are responsible for humidifying the air you breathe, and regulating the pressure of the air that is flying through your sinuses. They have a strong immunological role as well, as roughly 80% of the moisture in the nose comes from goblet cells in the respiratory epithelium located on the surface layer of the turbinates. Effectively, this moisture forms a gel-sol layer throughout the nasal cavity and the paranasal sinuses which through host defense peptides and other effectors of innate immunity maintains a population of harmless bacteria that help to crowd out dangerous bacteria from entering the nose. The other 20% of the moisture in your nose comes from your septum as there is what is basically a fourth turbinate on the septum called the nasal septal swell body. Now why is this important? Every surgical maneuver will leave some level of morbidity at the surgical site but the question is, can your body respond to it adequately and heal the tissue and peripheral nerves therein. And believe it or not, nerves play a strong role in your ability to breathe. The nasal mucosa is riddled with nerve pathways associated with the trigeminal nervous system. If you get nerve damage from a septoplasty or turbinate reduction or even just from the submucosal tunnels which are needed to access the cartilaginous framework to affect aesthetic change, all very common in primary rhinoplasty, your nose can become chronically dry.Which brings me to Chronic Pain: Every breath now erodes the inside of your nose and you live the rest of your life in pain. Furthermore breathing sensation is a combination of pressure and temperature receptors located on the mucosal layer. If you lose this sensation due to peripheral neuropathy you will have a constant feeling of suffocation despite having patent airways. This is a condition commonly referred to as empty nose syndrome, but also sometimes secondary atrophic rhinitis. This often also results in trigeminal neuralgia. 

THERE IS NO CURE FOR ANY OF THIS SHIT.

And that's just talking about neuropathy. You better make damn sure your surgeon can recognize vertically oriented lower lateral cartilages, Recurvature of the lateral crus, deep supra alar-creases, long nasal bones, and a low insertion point of the inferior turbinate. Failure on behalf of your surgeon to recognize these common pitfalls will result in almost if not complete nasal obstruction and have a drastic impact on your well being. Brb sleep apnea. Brb turbulent airflow and nosebleeds. Brb dryness around the vestibule and pain upon inspiration. Brb constant postnasal drip. Brb heavy pulling feeling at the front of your face. Brb UNAESTHETIC OUTCOME.

And if all goes well you better hope that he made pleasing changes to your nose because it is in the center of your fucking face and tissue and cartilages are inherently awkward to work with.

tl;dr

Your sugeon BETTER BE GOOD AT PROPHYLACTIC GRAFTING TECHNIQUES TO MAINTAIN SUPPORT.

(if you are in need of turbinate reduction) Your surgeon BETTER PERFORM MODEST TURBINATE REDUCTIONS AND ONLY BY SUBMUCOSAL RESECTION WITH A MICRODEBRIDER OR  RADIOFREQUENCY COBLATION.

YOUR SURGEON BETTER STRAIGHTEN ANY AND ALL SEPTAL DEVIATIONS IF HE IS GOING TO REDUCE YOUR NOSE. THESE CAN BECOME SYMPTOMATIC WITH A SMALLER AIRWAY.

modified

hairloss expert
Very interesting post. Thanks. But I haven't been able to breathe through my nose for more than 30% of my air since I was 14/15 or so thanks to my facial asymmetry and thus septal deviation. Improved after my first jaw surgery but still shit.

Complaining about nose job complications is complaining about 3rd world problems. Boohoo you can't breathe through your nose. Neither can I. That's the least of my concerns. If that's your biggest post-op risk/concern you don't really have any.

Trigeminal neuralgia is the only complication you listed that's anything worrisome and that's probably <1/10,000 nose jobs. Again I'm sure that's way more probable as an outcome from even the simplest jaw surgery.

Joncoping

Normie
Being better looking is worth any amount of pain you could possibly endure. For the worst kind of pain is inceldom

Scar Tissue

Slayer
modified said:
Very interesting post. Thanks. But I haven't been able to breathe through my nose for more than 30% of my air since I was 14/15 or so thanks to my facial asymmetry and thus septal deviation. Improved after my first jaw surgery but still shit.

Complaining about nose job complications is complaining about 3rd world problems. Boohoo you can't breathe through your nose. Neither can I. That's the least of my concerns. If that's your biggest post-op risk/concern you don't really have any.

Trigeminal neuralgia is the only complication you listed that's anything worrisome and that's probably 1/10,000 nose jobs.
You're being Naive. If you had chronic nasal dryness the quality of your life would PLUMMET. And it's actually more 2-3%. Chronic post nasal drip would also fuck you up. Have fun spitting up or trying to swallow thick mucous for the rest of your life. It's really quite frankly the most difficult surgery to perform in the realm of facial plastics and reconstructive surgery. Fuck your jaw surgery. Breath is life.
[hr]
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/05/03/medical-despair-ends-in-suicide.html

Nose surgery with nerve damage.
[hr]
nose surgery with nerve damage #2
[hr]
Nose surgery with nerve damage #3

"[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I was operated on and permanently injured by an ENT. I was naive and trusted him not to hurt me. He froze, cut, and resected two vital organs in my nasal cavity called inferior turbinates. My ENT destroyed these organs to the point where they no longer function. As a result, I now average 3-4 hours a night for the last 6 years.  I feel like I am suffocating 24/7. I no longer produce mucous to humidify the air for my lungs.  I have chronic anxiety, depression and a complete loss of well-being.  I cannot focus or concentrate.  My condition has progressed to a point where I am completely disabled.  Despite my efforts, there is not a cure for my condition.[/font]
[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Before this happened, I never even heard of turbinates. They are the key organs in the nasal cavity, shaped like small fingers. Their functionality is necessary to well-being and a good quality of life. They perform many functions, including humidifying, heating and cooling the air for the lungs. They are rich with neurons that send signals to the brain regarding gas exchange, information about sleep, and provide well-being. As a result, I have a crippled nose, sinuses and nasal cavity, that do not produce mucus, do not sense airflow, and do not function. I have severe maxillary nerve damage as well.  The nerves that line what is left on my mucosa are damaged so I feel like I am suffocating 24/7.   My subconscious mind cannot sleep through the suffocation. As a result, I sleep a few hours a night and never feel refreshed.  When I am awake, I experience what only can be described as torture. My anxiety and level of well-being are terrible. Humans are hard-wired to experience anxiety when they feel like they are suffocating.  All of the pleasurable sensations that come with breathing are absent.  My sinuses are dry.  The quality of my life is gone.[/font]
[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I saw Dr. Steven Houser in Jan of ‘09.  He diagnosed me with ENS. The condition is nicknamed Empty Nose Syndrome because, when you look at a CT scan, the nasal cavity appears empty. This silly-sounding condition is chronically debilitating. Dr. Houser mentioned it was a potential suicide condition. There have been numerous suicides due to ENS, as documented by Dr. Eugene Kern, formerly from the Mayo Clinic. My good friend, John, with whom I spoke every day for a year, had ENS and ultimately took his life a few years ago. I realized I was having suicidal thoughts because the symptoms exceeded my ability to cope with the condition. I had a friend in college who took his life. I remember thinking to myself–what could be that bad that he would go to that extreme?  I did not understand it then, but I understand it now. I hate that option. I want to live. I do not want to take my life anymore then the next guy. I do not agree with suicide on principle. It is a terrible legacy to leave my children. They need me as a father. So I have been fighting the urge for many years. However, I feel I have no hope and things are not improving, but rather getting worse. I am not sleeping hardly at all, and my mental anguish and anxiety are terrible. Years of sleeping just 3 hours a night, and the complete loss of well-being, and the torture ENS brought to my life have become unbearable.[/font]
[font='Trebuchet MS', Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One thing that makes it tough is there is no escape. Since it is breathing related, it is constant. The lack of nerve signals being sent to the brain makes it torture. That is the hardest part to explain. I was so sleep-deprived, and sleep is such a motivator, I would do anything for it. My friends and family cannot comprehend my suffering, and cannot understand why I cannot transcend my problem. I would like nothing more than to successfully cope. I have two beautiful children that need a healthy father. I want to feel better so I can be there for them. Other than the physical symptoms, I suffer from a complete loss of well-being. I have severe depression and anxiety. I always excelled in school and work and, overall, things came pretty easy for me. I was so very capable. Now everything is so hard. Little tasks are hard. I spend my days trying to not lose it mentally. When I discuss my problems with my friends and family, it is very hard on them. They cannot help the situation so they do not know how to react. I try my best not to burden anyone anymore. As a result, it is a very lonely condition. Only my fellow ENS sufferers, who I met online, can comprehend what I go through. I confide in them. This is not my suicide note.  Although I am suicidal. Every day, I feel the urge. I force myself to make it one more day. I have been saying that to myself for years. I have never imagined such pain could have been brought to my life to ruin it."[/font]
[hr]
Your life is over if your rhinoplasty goes wrong. And it happens more often than you think. You dont see this shit on realself. 
[hr]
http://www.realself.com/review/seattle-wa-sinus-surgery-doctor-empty-nose-syndrome

http://www.realself.com/review/seattle-wa-sinus-surgery-happy-the-outcome-the-surgery
[hr]
Cosmetic surgeons do this all the time. LMAO just fucking be careful is what I'm getting at. Enough said.

modified

hairloss expert
So you post an example of someone who got a turbinate cut out (butchered) as an example of how nose surgery is so complex? Doesn't sound complex. Sounds like he butchered him. Post nasal drip is treatable with nasal steroid sprays.

Jaw surgery can lead to:

- Nonunion
- Hardware (screws/pins) breaking
- Intraoperative fracture (shattering) of the mandible
- Avascular necrosis
- TMJ resorption and early onset arthritis
- Transection of mandibular sensory nerves
- Permanent numbness to face/tongue/gums
- Neuromas and neuropathic pain from all the nerves that are disrupted if they don't heal
- Osteomyelitis
- Teeth falling out

Those are real risks. Plus you're cutting through the sinus in a lefort too, so it's not like they can't butcher you there too. My maxfacial said he burned out my sinuses in some manner during my surgery to try and help me breathe more through my nose. I don't know if it helped me or hurt me.

My nose is dry if I breathe through it. Like I said, I can't anyway so it's not a big deal. 75%+ of my air comes from my mouth. That was true before and after.

Scar Tissue

Slayer
modified said:
So you post an example of someone who got a turbinate cut out (butchered) as an example of how nose surgery is so complex? Doesn't sound complex. Sounds like he butchered him. Post nasal drip is treatable with nasal steroid sprays.

Jaw surgery can lead to:

- Nonunion
- Avascular necrosis
- Neuromas and neuropathic pain from all the nerves that are disrupted if they don't heal
- Osteomyelitis
- Teeth falling out

Those are real risks. Plus you're cutting through the sinus in a lefort too, so it's not like they can't butcher you there too. My maxfacial said he burned out my sinuses in some manner during my surgery to try and help me breathe more through my nose. I don't know if it helped me or hurt me.

My nose is dry if I breathe through it. Like I said, I can't anyway so it's not a big deal. 75%+ of my air comes from my mouth. That was true before and after.
You are setting up nasal surgery against jaw surgery which really wasn't my intention. I just want to point out that nasal surgery is dangerous in its own right by virtue of its cutting mucosa, which all nasal surgeries do. Furthermore these people didn't have their turbinates cut out or butchered, everything done to all of these people was routine and it was just a matter of poor reinnervation after the surgery, which can happen to anyone in spite of whatever techniques even the most conservative and experienced doctors use. 

Okay so you cant breathe through your nose that sucks man sorry. But for you to say it's not a big deal means nothing. For a guy who has breathed through his nose for his entire life, including during sleep. To lose that ability; it will seriously fuck him up. He will have systemic stress disorders. 

By the way, you had your turbinates cauterized. Your doctor attempted to boil and thus kill capacitance vessels inside your inferior turbinates in an attempt to destroy erectile tissue and open your airway. Instead what happened is he injured your turbinates by compromising bloodflow to the vascular mucosa. The body's natural histological response is for the turbinates to hypertrophy and thus now not only did the outdated technique he utilized injure your turbinates, you are now no better for it. For what it's worth. Should you ever choose to undergo another turbinate reduction the consequences could be dire.

modified

hairloss expert
Scar Tissue said:
modified said:

Jaw surgery can lead to:

- Nonunion
- Avascular necrosis
- Osteomyelitis
- Teeth falling out

You are setting up nasal surgery against jaw surgery which really wasn't my intention. I just want to point out that nasal surgery is dangerous in its own right by virtue of its cutting mucosa, which all nasal surgeries do. That these people didn't have their turbinates cut out or butchered, everything done to all of these people was routine and it was just a matter of poor reinnervation after the surgery, which can happen to anyone in spite of whatever techniques even the most conservative and experienced doctors use. 

Okay so you cant breathe through your nose that sucks man sorry. But for you to say it's not a big deal means nothing. For a guy who has breathed through his nose for his entire life, including during sleep. To lose that ability; it will seriously fuck him up. He will have systemic stress disorders. 

By the way, you had your turbinates cauterized. Your doctor attempted to boil and thus kill capacitance vessels inside your inferior turbinates in an attempt to destroy erectile tissue and open your airway. Instead what happened is he injured your turbinates by compromising bloodflow to the vascular mucosa. The body's natural histological response is for the turbinates to hypertrophy and thus now not only did the outdated technique he utilized injure your turbinates, you are now no better for it. For what it's worth. Should you ever choose to undergo another turbinate reduction the consequences could be dire.
Still just whining about if you can breathe through your nose. Of all my problems in my life not being able to breathe through my nose is the last on the list.

If I needed a nose job I would get it in a heartbeat.

I'm going for round two on the jaws despite all the risks I listed. If I should ever choose to undergo another jaw surgery the consequences could be dire. But I'm still doing it.

Seriously, acting like not being able to breathe through your nose is going to kill you is ridiculous. Plenty of people can't breathe through their noses. If you're that afraid of something so minor going wrong, you either aren't suffering enough from your looks or you don't have enough conviction to try and change the hand you were dealt.

I don't really worry about all the side effects I listed from jaw surgery, because I figure if I get any that are truly debilitating, I'll just kill myself.

Scar Tissue

Slayer
modified said:
Scar Tissue said:
You are setting up nasal surgery against jaw surgery which really wasn't my intention. I just want to point out that nasal surgery is dangerous in its own right by virtue of its cutting mucosa, which all nasal surgeries do. That these people didn't have their turbinates cut out or butchered, everything done to all of these people was routine and it was just a matter of poor reinnervation after the surgery, which can happen to anyone in spite of whatever techniques even the most conservative and experienced doctors use. 

Still just whining about if you can breathe through your nose.

If I needed a nose job I would get it in a heartbeat.

I'm going for round two on the jaws despite all the risks I listed. If I should ever choose to undergo another jaw surgery the consequences could be dire. But I'm still doing it.

Seriously, acting like not being able to breathe through your nose is going to kill you is ridiculous. Plenty of people can't breathe through their noses. If you're that afraid of something so minor going wrong, you either aren't suffering enough from your looks or you don't have enough conviction to try and change the hand you were dealt.

I don't really worry about all the side effects I listed from jaw surgery, because I figure if I get any that are truly debilitating, I'll just kill myself.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Frankly you're just wrong and it's this naive ignorance that allows the conventional attitude towards nose surgery to continue as it does. Trigeminal neuralgia is the least of these people's concerns and the fact that you dialed in on that as the worst symptom I listed tells me everything I need to know. I am not talking about just congestion I am talking about surgically induced neuropathy. But even regular congestion from nasal surgery from say, a collapsed nasal valve can split your quality of life in half. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You're speaking to a med student who is literally in a summer internship at one of the leading sinus institutes in the United States. I see suicidal people EVERY SINGLE DAY I WORK. That's not an E-stat.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]And frankly, I doubt you would have the balls to truly kill yourself.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My incel cousin got a rhinoplasty with a well reputed doctor in New Jersey. His symptoms of suffocation due to neuropathy drove him to suicide. But hindsight is 20/20 and if your jaw surgery goes wrong you will realise how little your sexual market value really matters in the context of the miraculous fact that you simply exist. [/font]

modified

hairloss expert
Scar Tissue said:
you will realise how little your sexual market value really matters in the context of the miraculous fact that you simply exist. [/font]

Loled hard. There is nothing miraculous about my life. If you told me I am going to drop dead tomorrow I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've had chronic nerve pain from other injuries that remitted. So I know what it's like. I am fully aware of how bad life gets. That's why I say I will kill myself if it happens to me. I've lived that before. If it happens and won't go away my already pointless life will become that much more pointless. I know what I'll have to do because I contemplated it plenty already.

I'm not sure what you think is so great about life, but I don't share your perspective.

Surgery is high gain minimal risk for me. My last jaw surgery raised my quality of life tremendously. Another could make me actually attractive. That's worth a round of Russian roulette to me.

Joncoping

Normie
modified said:
Scar Tissue said:
you will realise how little your sexual market value really matters in the context of the miraculous fact that you simply exist. [/font]

Loled hard. There is nothing miraculous about my life. If you told me I am going to drop dead tomorrow I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've had chronic nerve pain from other injuries that remitted. So I know what it's like. I am fully aware of how bad life gets. That's why I say I will kill myself if it happens to me. I've lived that before. If it happens and won't go away my already pointless life will become that much more pointless. I know what I'll have to do because I contemplated it plenty already.

I'm not sure what you think is so great about life, but I don't share your perspective.

Surgery is high gain minimal risk for me. My last jaw surgery raised my quality of life tremendously. Another could make me actually attractive. That's worth a round of Russian roulette to me.
REPPED

Normal Fag

Cuck
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You just need confidence man, like girls aren't wired to care about looks.[/font]