Philosophy students are IQ gods

Rammstein

Slayer
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pa34/philexcel.htm

GRE (Graduate Record Exam) scores2 from 2001–2004 show that philosophy majors had:

§  the highest verbal reasoning score of students in any major

§  the highest analytical writing score of students in any major

§  the highest quantitative reasoning score of any humanities or arts major

Yul Brynner

Slayer
Communication Skills:

The ability to express and to explain difficult ideas clearly and straightforwardly
The ability to express one’s point of view while respecting the views of others
The ability to use a variety of tools and strategies to convey information

:crying:

I will never have high verbal IQ. 

assburger

Gigachad
Yul Brynner said:
Communication Skills:

The ability to express and to explain difficult ideas clearly and straightforwardly
The ability to express one’s point of view while respecting the views of others
The ability to use a variety of tools and strategies to convey information

:crying:

I will never have high verbal IQ. 
at least ur NT

Smartest people by disciplines:

People in:

1. Physics
2. Mathematics
3. Chemistry
4. IT
5. Philosophy

@"hospen"  , philosophy is useless in a lot of subjects, but it is useful in some, especially Law(Sui Generis would know what i mean)

lookz

Chad
Philosophy is still useful for doctors as they need ethics. It's a course I think even.

J

Jason

assburger said:
why'd they go for a useless degree then
Most people who do humanities degrees come from middle class backgrounds and are women (though philosophy maybe still male dominated ). After graduation, though they have no real technical skills, they get hired by the government, or sponsored by daddy until at some point they either study for a second more practical degree or get married.

It's really hard to slide down the pecking order in society, if you're born into a comfortable middle class existence you can do all kinds of frivolous shit like getting worthless degrees, spending years on activism (animal rights, climate change, whatever...), live a transient no commitment bohemian lifestyle- but in the end social class is permanent you simply have to exist and prosperity will come to you.

King Chad

Normie
Isn't Philosophy necessary for anything to do with Politics? 

I'd hope so

smellysocks

Gigachad
not high IQ enough to avoid wasting 4 years of time and money on the most useless degree ever

J

Jason

smellysocks said:
not high IQ enough to avoid wasting 4 years of time and money on the most useless degree ever
The IQ means they probably came from a well off family (IQ is inherited, primarily from genes). If you have a high IQ your family is probably high IQ, IE they're probably well off. In other words they can support you if you choose to pursue a less than lucrative career, or no career at all. 

You often see the daughter/son of some famous politician, eminent scientist, etc. , going NEET mode (or close enough to it). 

2nd, they'd be selection bias at play: those who choose to study philosophy probably have a pathway to a good job lined up (for whatever reason, family connections, maybe they're especially talented at abstract thinking and they know it etc.). It's not like Joe Smith from the local council estate is going to arbitrarily decide to study philosophy .

I would not be surprised if philosophy students have some of the best employment rates of all fields.

JustTheWayYouAre

King of Chads
Philosophy is useless unless you intend to work in academia, not to mention the branches like postmodern philosophy. However, despite being useless, it offers you possibly the best available training for thinking skills, especially the study programs based on logic. If you study logic, which requires a great amount of dedication, your career options are literally endless. One of my ex-schoolmate (a PhD in logic) who also offers tutoring lessons to lawyers or doctors told me they are dumb as fuck.

smellysocks said:
there's not only iq which is involved here.

EQ, discipline, formative years parenting,etc play a very important role in people choices.

Nyhil

Slayer
lmao at losers who think that philosophy is useless.

Every prime minister, and every high profile diplomat, economist, jurist, politicians, religion leaders, basically the ones who control society, all studied philosophy.

Keep coping thinking physics or engineering have more impact than philosophy in the way the world works.

smellysocks

Gigachad
Jason said:
smellysocks said:
The IQ means they probably came from a well off family (IQ is inherited, primarily from genes). If you have a high IQ your family is probably high IQ, IE they're probably well off. In other words they can support you if you choose to pursue a less than lucrative career, or no career at all. 

You often see the daughter/son of some famous politician, eminent scientist, etc. , going NEET mode (or close enough to it). 

2nd, they'd be selection bias at play: those who choose to study philosophy probably have a pathway to a good job lined up (for whatever reason, family connections, maybe they're especially talented at abstract thinking and they know it etc.). It's not like Joe Smith from the local council estate is going to arbitrarily decide to study philosophy .

I would not be surprised if philosophy students have some of the best employment rates of all fields.
Makes sense actually now that I think about it. 

Anecdotally, all of the philosophy majors I've known came from inherently well-off families and had jobs basically lined up for them at daddy's company. They were probably in college to basically fuck around and "just because"

madskills

Coper
you can delve into philosophy stuff without needing the degree. it's actually a hobby, I see all kinds of people reading Aristotle, Kant ect.

lookz

Chad
King Chad said:

I'd hope so
Some courses are like political philosophy and ethics classes. But that's just like 1/7th of philosophy or something.

King Chad

Normie
lookz said:
King Chad said:

I'd hope so
Some courses are like political philosophy and ethics classes. But that's just like 1/7th of philosophy or something.
Yeah I'm more interested in political philosophy tbh