Perspective & Focal Length

Neck Brah

Incel
Joined
Jun 30, 2015
Messages
432
Reputation
12
If people want morphs done or their FWHR measured, make sure to take the pics from a distance around 1-2 meters. Otherwise, due to the type of lens most phone cameras use you will get incorrect FWHR measurements if taken up close, this also makes it more awkward to morph. Creating the thread so we don't have to keep making countless posts on the subject and so people can be easily linked here.


[font=arial, sans-serif]The iPhone's lens has a ([/font][font=arial, sans-serif]35mm[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] equivalent) focal length of [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]29mm[/font][font=arial, sans-serif].[/font]









You can really see the 5-eye-line in the beauty shot above that was taken from a distance with a long lens. The sides of the model's head are evident.

In the wide-angle closeup shot, the '5-eye line' is almost a '3-eye line,' and the side planes of the model's head are no longer visible.







A simple dolly inward. The box has non-parallel wedge-like sides, as does a skull.










Here is a great post by The German Dream which he made back in 2014.


GermanDream said:
TLDR: we could all be alot uglier or alot more handsome than we think we are

how do you figure out how you really look like without distance distortion?

this is a picture of the same face at the exact same moment recorded with two cameras. the close one was 45cm away and the far one 135cm using this technique:











As we can see the picture further away is alot more aesthetic and it was also rated more attractive in the study. I remind you the pictures were taken at the exact same moment with the same lighting, expression etc.

we also all know pictures like that:























which demonstrate mostly the distortion due to distance vs flattening the face at bigger distances.

how do you know how you really look like? if you are too close the camera might make your face too narrow and the nose too big (because it is proportionally alot closer to the camera now than any other part of the face), if the camera is too far it might give you a wider skull and flatter face. 
how do you know how other perceive you?
do you become worse looking the closer the other person is to you? but ive never experienced someone becoming worse looking when i came closer to them so i dont know how that would pan out.
whats one really look like?
 
Joined
Nov 19, 2015
Messages
4,259
Reputation
1
Legit, the same thing applies to profile pictures. If you take a picture and have your nose/eyes/mouth in focus they will appear bigger if the focal length isn't high enough.
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Messages
1,494
Reputation
26
what ive been asking myself lately tho:
yes, closeup/short focal lenses distort the face in a negative way, there is no doubt, but the question is, when do pictures taken from afar/with long focal length distort the pictures in a positive way?
there must be a certain setting of variables which lead to a most realistic representation of the face with the least possible positive or negative distortion
 

OldRooster

King of Chads
Joined
Aug 25, 2015
Messages
10,399
Reputation
263
nice summary.

This problem continues to exist because women take more than 80% (made that up, can't be bothered to look up the obvious) of selfies and the narrowing effect of the shorter focal length has a feminizing effect. The lens distortion actually makes fat women look thinner and more feminine. If lens distortion made women fatter or more masculine looking this would be common knowledge and phone camera makers would have better technologies in their phone cameras by now.

Someone should make one of those multifocal length arrays with a woman with a fat face. I'd bet the fattie looks better at 25mm then at 100mm

wow, I just noticed this for the first time despite seeing these types of arrays many times before, the shorter focal lengths cause the hairlines to recess.
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Messages
1,494
Reputation
26
its really astonishing how much better i look when i take pictures from ~2m distance compared to maximum hand reach which is like ~0.8m with a standard phone camera lens (which is 35mm i think).
but this then might be distorted in such a way that it favours my looks. im still wondering what distance might represent the most realistic view: i hope its like 2m...but it might actually be closer to like 1m or something :sad:
 

Snake

Cuck
Joined
Dec 24, 2015
Messages
78
Reputation
1
Women can still pull off a portrait at short focal length, but for most men it's a death sentence. Makes face narrower, completely kills jawline and chin, just messes up all proportions. Stay the fuck away from selfies.





 

FireHaze

Gigachad
Joined
Jun 30, 2015
Messages
8,665
Reputation
6
OldRooster said:
nice summary.

This problem continues to exist because women take more than 80% (made that up, can't be bothered to look up the obvious) of selfies and the narrowing effect of the shorter focal length has a feminizing effect. The lens distortion actually makes fat women look thinner and more feminine. If lens distortion made women fatter or more masculine looking this would be common knowledge and phone camera makers would have better technologies in their phone cameras by now.

Someone should make one of those multifocal length arrays with a woman with a fat face. I'd bet the fattie looks better at 25mm then at 100mm

wow, I just noticed this for the first time despite seeing these types of arrays many times before, the shorter focal lengths cause the hairlines to recess.
Snake said:
Women can still pull off a portrait at short focal length, but for most men it's a death sentence. Makes face narrower, completely kills jawline and chin, just messes up all proportions. Stay the fuck away from selfies.





These two posts confirm my hunch that women are far more photogenic than men lol
 

OldRooster

King of Chads
Joined
Aug 25, 2015
Messages
10,399
Reputation
263
I have found a website that provides seemingly legit, comprehensive and intelligent ratings of cameras. Based upon its ratings of compact cameras for portraits I am going to order the Fujifilm  S1, it is not the top rated portrait camera, but it is the highest rated portrait camera under $500 and it has  a fully articulated viewing screen and everything a sane person could want in a camera. http://cameradecision.com/features/Best-Compact-cameras-for-Portrait-Photography. There are places on the web that sell it for under $300.

I also did some research on selfie sticks, and came to the conclusion they are worthless (unless you are taking pictures of your ass) as they will shake too much and give a blurry picture
 

dead_inside

Incel
Joined
Dec 27, 2015
Messages
180
Reputation
1
OldRooster said:
I have found a website that provides seemingly legit, comprehensive and intelligent ratings of cameras. Based upon its ratings of compact cameras for portraits I am going to order the Fujifilm  S1, it is not the top rated portrait camera, but it is the highest rated portrait camera under $500 and it has  a fully articulated viewing screen and everything a sane person could want in a camera. http://cameradecision.com/features/Best-Compact-cameras-for-Portrait-Photography. There are places on the web that sell it for under $300.

I also did some research on selfie sticks, and came to the conclusion they are worthless (unless you are taking pictures of your ass) as they will shake too much and give a blurry picture
I think the most important would be getting a stand so you can get reasonably far from the camera (at least 2m far) and use a timer with your shots or maybe nowadays you can control the camera with an app or something
 

Snake

Cuck
Joined
Dec 24, 2015
Messages
78
Reputation
1
OldRooster said:
I have found a website that provides seemingly legit, comprehensive and intelligent ratings of cameras. Based upon its ratings of compact cameras for portraits I am going to order the Fujifilm  S1, it is not the top rated portrait camera, but it is the highest rated portrait camera under $500 and it has  a fully articulated viewing screen and everything a sane person could want in a camera. http://cameradecision.com/features/Best-Compact-cameras-for-Portrait-Photography. There are places on the web that sell it for under $300.

I also did some research on selfie sticks, and came to the conclusion they are worthless (unless you are taking pictures of your ass) as they will shake too much and give a blurry picture
No.

When it comes to proper cameras, it's all about the size of the sensor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format



That Fuji S1 has a tiny 1/2.3" sensor. Basically, it'll produce pictures not much better than phones. 

If you want something light, compact and cheap, I suggest you get Sony A6000 (APS-C sensor, 12 times larger surface area than 1/2.3") and SEL50F18 lens (best for portraits). 


PS - aren't you super rich? If I were you, I'd actually get something along the lines of Sony A7RII + Zeiss Batis 85mm. This is the sort of quality you can expect with this combo:

 

Neck Brah

Incel
Joined
Jun 30, 2015
Messages
432
Reputation
12
Selecting a Portrait Lens With Correct Focal Length


http://petapixel.com/2016/01/04/selecting-a-portrait-lens-with-correct-focal-length/








[font=Helvetica, 'Lucida Grande', Verdana, 'Lucida Sans Regular', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Hence whatever facial feature happens to be closest to the lens will take up more real estate on the film plane then those featured that biologically occur farther away. The one unfortunate body part that most often bares the brunt of this inevitability is the nose. In the drawing below you can see how the distance from lens to the nose vs. eyebrow changes with various focal lengths – the shorter the lens the greater the difference in those distances and the bigger the nose will appear in the photo.[/font]

 

lltvyr

Slayer
Joined
Jul 12, 2015
Messages
2,497
Reputation
13
Reflex said:
sooo take pics from far away?
depends on your features. i look better when close (protruding ears, small nose).
 
Top