Nightmare: need to extract data off harddisk before pc recovery w/o FBI (MRZ GIH)

Shit

Incel
Cliffs:

- Windows 7 crashed and kept booting to Startup Repair, which couldn't fix the issue. It could boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
- I tried a few chkdsk, sfcscan, bootrec operations to try and repair it. I fucked it up even more.
- PC now can't boot to anything except [PC brand] recovery manager. It can't boot to safe mode. F8/Advanced Boot Options is useless to me.

Tech help said my only option for saving my data is to bring the laptop to a repair shop to extract the data off so that I can do a full recovery. I refuse to do this. I have sensitive files on the laptop that I meant to delete but didn't. The FBI would have a field day.

How can I extract my data off this hard disk myself?

My plan: buy a new internal laptop hard disk. Recover the Windows 7 OS, then find a device that links internal hard disks to laptops. Losing programs is something I have to accept but I must keep my files. I have an external harddisk but my laptop can't access it until the laptop is operational. I have gigs of images, documents, and videos to back up. Can you give me some insights?

modified

hairloss expert
1) Take the damaged hard drive out.
2) Buy a replacement hard drive; install this physically and install a fresh Windows.
3) Buy an external USB hard drive enclosure which is compatible with your old hard drive and connect it up.
4) Copy files off the old hard drive now connected by USB.
5) Run a data recovery program like Recuva on the old hard drive now connected by USB to find broken files.

Sounds like you shouldn't be recovering most of that data anyway though.

White God

Normie
Torrent a data recovery program to get your stuff back. Why didn't you think of that? Are you unfamiliar with it?

JustTheWayYouAre

King of Chads
Do not touch the hard drive anymore, create the image of the drive with the use of specialized software and then start extracting what is still possible to extract from the image.

I lost approx. 300 GB of very rare music that was being collected through 6-8 years, they even weren't able to help me at a specialized lab, because of the mechanical damage.

Shit

Incel
appreciated guys.

I opened up a command prompt (One of the few things I _can_ do with the laptop at the moment) and opened F:\Users\[Shit]\... and I can see what used to be my C:\ . My old D:\ is now my C:\ . dafck???

My downloads, documents and guantanamobayworthy files are still there on my new C:\ and F:\. A bootrec/chkdsk operation that I performed must have fucked up the mapping and also deleted my System Restore points (I had 2, which didn't work anyway!!).

Will post results or call from jail.