Masseter & Temporalis training (Free Weight method)

Neck Brah

Incel
For the masseter & temporalis i use a mouth guard with holes poked through and two really thick shoe laces tied around a dumbbell. You can also use a rope instead of a mouth guard 

I feel this is a more effective and cheaper way to train the jaw & temporal muscles than using multiple pieces of gum. 

-The Range of motion is greater
-Equal growth on each side
-You will gain strength faster which= muscle 
-Easier to track progress
-Shorter training periods than having to chew gum for a longer periods of time daily
-the cost will end up being cheaper in the long run

The muscles of the face are like any other and the progressive overload principles should be used like you would with any other muscle. Progressive overload = muscle growth

Lifting a heavy weight against the force of gravity and making progression over time= muscle growth

You have the mouth guard on the bottom set of teeth over a flannel, so you will have to stick a flannel in your mouth to stop the laces rubbing against the sides of your mouth, a similar one as i have in the pic folded a couple of times. So have the mouth guard resting ontop of the flannel then stick it in your mouth

when doing the biting motion have your head tilted backwards looking at the ceiling, have one arm cradling under the dumbbell (my right arm) and your other arm pushing against the mouth guard (left hand). If you find the weight you're using too easy add more weight to the dumbbell

Open your mouth wide and let your jaw drop down as far as it can, then bite shut. 

That counts as one rep

I personally don't want to do these weighted jaw workouts since it would pull bottom teeth forward. Imagine a maxilla like thing going on with lower teeth so they project forward as much as the chin? Just a problem I have a bit of due to orthodontics or forward oral posture.

Most versions of these weighted jaw workouts are static, the opening wide as possible is high risk for TMJ.

@Neck Brah, have you tried that angry face thing you posted in the neck training thread when working your neck forwards? I am chewing falim prior to doing that and I stretch the gum over all my bottom molars as protection. The bite force I generated from that is crazy, tongue to roof can't counter it. I am sore at the hyoid today from last night. My whole neck is blasted. One of the best masseter workouts I had with the falim chewing prior and chewing carrots between sets..

I like the idea of falim before eating tough foods. I only do this twice jaw work twice a week to avoid over working the jaw.

Sorry that your first 2 responses are derailing your thread, but I don't believe this is the best method.

Neck Brah

Incel
@Machiavellian

If you are prone to tmj then it may be wise to stay away from free weights. Im not saying gum isn't effective, this is just an alternative method which some people may prefer, whether you use gum or weights it all comes down to progressive overload so it doesn't really matter which method you use.

With the free weight method ive never had any problems with my teeth or tmj as the flannel i use takes the strain off the teeth. Its not something you have to be doing everyday either, 1-2 a week is enough.

I replied to you neck question in my neck training thread  :mile:

Mo Pho

Incel
So you're essentialy utilizing the mouth guard to open and close your mouth w resistance? Any good results with this?

forg1ven

Cuck
/watch?v=JuzwLQMTfqU this guy (rip) only did static holds and had some great results. check his other videos for better angles/lighting.

now i know actually contracting is better than holding (in bodybuilding) but is the risk of fucking up your jaw joint worth the extra gains ? you be the judge

Broly

Incel
am i the only one who thinks wide jaw doesnt look good?