Is tanning actually bad?

Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
662
Reputation
1
I don't have a perfect answer for this but we could make a discussion about it.

Does tanning really worsen your skin more than it protects its self from future UV exposure? This idea first came to mind when you see Jersey Shore and you got Pauly D looking younger than the situation despite being older and tanning every day. I've experimented with tanning on the lowest levels available with normal duration and upping the time gradually. I didn't want to touch MT2 since it increased chance for moles so I use L-Tyrosine to increase melanin production to boost the tanning results. I am mid 20's and people think I am 20 based on skin quality when I clean shaven and 22 when I get that masc stubble. Only babyface facial feature I got is a small lack of jaw size, if anything I got a strong brow ridge that does not belong to a young face.

Now I learned about beta carotene and astaxathin from a SH thread, people thought I was 19 now after this. These are good to add with tanning since it improves your ability to tan from UV exposure with less damage than before.


Are people like me just lucky with skin genetics, or can maintaining a tan protect the skin?
 

ZordoNado

Coper
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
593
Reputation
1
Sun exposure ages your skin, a tan is basically a scar that sun exposure creates.
If you are Skin type 3 or bellow get around 30 minutes of daily sun exposure noon time with minimal clothing, but no more then that. This is all you need regarding health benefits (vit D, mood, immune system etc). 


Nice sig by the way.
 
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
662
Reputation
1
ZordoNado said:
Sun exposure ages your skin, a tan is basically a scar that sun exposure creates.
If you are Skin type 3 or bellow get around 30 minutes of daily sun exposure noon time with minimal clothing, but no more then that. This is all you need regarding health benefits (vit D, mood, immune system etc). 


Nice sig by the way.
Scar tissue is dead tissue practically. Sunburn is a better analogy to compare to a scar. The tan its self is a desired adaptive response to the tanning. Accelerating a tan with melanin enhancing factors does not mean you got a bigger scar.

Would you say that half hour of light full body sun exposure is enough to build a base tan which protects you afterwords?
 

ZordoNado

Coper
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
593
Reputation
1
Machiavellian said:
ZordoNado said:
Sun exposure ages your skin, a tan is basically a scar that sun exposure creates.
If you are Skin type 3 or bellow get around 30 minutes of daily sun exposure noon time with minimal clothing, but no more then that. This is all you need regarding health benefits (vit D, mood, immune system etc). 


Nice sig by the way.
Scar tissue is dead tissue practically. Sunburn is a better analogy to compare to a scar. The tan its self is a desired adaptive response to the tanning. Accelerating a tan with melanin enhancing factors does not mean you got a bigger scar.

Would you say that half hour of light full body sun exposure is enough to build a base tan which protects you afterwords?
Idk what you mean by protect you, you can build it up depending on your skin type. Just try it for a few weeks and see if you like the skin tone.
 
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
662
Reputation
1
ZordoNado said:
Machiavellian said:
ZordoNado said:
Sun exposure ages your skin, a tan is basically a scar that sun exposure creates.
If you are Skin type 3 or bellow get around 30 minutes of daily sun exposure noon time with minimal clothing, but no more then that. This is all you need regarding health benefits (vit D, mood, immune system etc). 


Nice sig by the way.
Scar tissue is dead tissue practically. Sunburn is a better analogy to compare to a scar. The tan its self is a desired adaptive response to the tanning. Accelerating a tan with melanin enhancing factors does not mean you got a bigger scar.

Would you say that half hour of light full body sun exposure is enough to build a base tan which protects you afterwords?
Idk what you mean by protect you, you can build it up depending on your skin type. Just try it for a few weeks and see if you like the skin tone.
Darker skin endures less UV damage, that is what I mean by protect.
 

ZordoNado

Coper
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
593
Reputation
1
Machiavellian said:
ZordoNado said:
Machiavellian said:
Scar tissue is dead tissue practically. Sunburn is a better analogy to compare to a scar. The tan its self is a desired adaptive response to the tanning. Accelerating a tan with melanin enhancing factors does not mean you got a bigger scar.

Would you say that half hour of light full body sun exposure is enough to build a base tan which protects you afterwords?
Idk what you mean by protect you, you can build it up depending on your skin type. Just try it for a few weeks and see if you like the skin tone.
Darker skin endures less UV damage, that is what I mean by protect.
You can build it up to an extent based on your skin type. Too much sun exposure is bad and will make you age faster.
 

allindaeyes

Banned
Joined
Jun 30, 2015
Messages
2,199
Reputation
3
it depends on ur skin tone, there are like 3 major skin tones. 

Dark, Olive, White.


The middle is the best and everything has tiers, a lot of whites have olive tone but its just light, thats how they get away with tanning without burning. I'm not white but I wear sunscreen all the time and I get tanned easily, I haven't gotten sun burnt once.

Whats shocking is my sister who is much darker and is not meant to get burnt has, I dont understand how it goes tbh
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2015
Messages
8,329
Reputation
2
Could you tell me how much beta carotene and astaxathin to use?

Does the tan look different compared to using MT2?
 

heilsa

Slayer
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
3,694
Reputation
38
Top