If I killed myself now

PaleBlueDot

Banned
And in the future my consciousness can be recreated by advanced computers, would it still be the "me" I am right now?

PaleBlueDot

Banned
adrift said:
Darth Vader said:
And in the future my consciousness can be recreated by advanced computers, would it still be the "me" I am right now?
This is a similar thought to the notion of multiple universes and quantum suicide. Suppose two universes are created every time you are presented with a situation that has more than one possible outcomes. Now say you plan to shoot yourself in the head. In one universe you succeed in killing yourself instantly, and cease to be. In another universe you forget to turn the safety off and you take it as a sign you shouldn't kill yourself and you should reform your life. Is the you that survived really you? Are "you" still alive and conscious? Life is strange.
I've heard of this thought experiment it's creepy as he'll but I think it might be true, like you'd you'd keep pulling the trigger and nothing would happen from your point of view. I'm also quite convinced that I'm living in a computer simulation being run by aliens or future humans, and Boltzmann brains, I could be one of those this universe is so much more strange than any work of fiction