• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

i was in denial abt my autism at 1st too

sadburger

Regular
without even trying to undrstand.. i just didnt wanna accept what i thought mustve been a degrading label that implied inferiority i guess.
my false pride and superiority complex as an aspie coping mechanism got in the way.

however when i began to learn abt it and have a more objective view i couldnt deny it anymore as everything lined up. 
there were apparently beneficiary aspects that made it easier to accept too.

i think this forums generally gone thru a similar proces.
it might not be there yet but the autism pill has been swallowed in varying doses

Foxx

Average Guy
You know you like it but it drive drives you insane.

You just want to be the same.

Legit.   I remember crying when my parents told me I got diagnosed with ADD as a kid.   I used to lie to my friends and say I was going to the nurse everyday for my inhaler (i dont actually have asthma) instead of saying I was getting my mid-day dose of Ritalin. 

Of course, today it's pretty acceptable to have ADD and Im pretty open about it with friends.   I think something similar is going on with autism (i.e., it's becoming more and more accepted). 

The one difference, though, is that while ADD behavior is somewhat tolerated in society, all autistic behaviors are literally equivocated with cancer in some organizations and they see it as a disease that must be extinguished at all costs (look at Autism Speaks for instance).  I disagree with that to an extent because I have a feeling there's a type of profound intelligence out there that requires autism. Ridding the world of autism in general would be doing humanity a tremendous disservice.

asiancel

Champion
most "autists" here are just narcissists who have experienced narcissistic injury to the degree that they can no longer cope and function, and therefore require a "safe space" for support and fellowship.

I'm borderline aspie, but my biggest problem when it comes to social interactions is my face and social anxiety.

With surgery, all my major problems will be fixed.

mephisto

Rotter
asiancel said:
most "autists" here are just narcissists who have experienced narcissistic injury to the degree that they can no longer cope and function, and therefore require a "safe space" for support and fellowship.

sounds like me

btw op how do you know you're an actual autists? like can you read/understand social cues and shit irl

asiancel said:

legit, that's 100% me

Irl most people see me and treat me a certain way(like shit), but it doesn't match with how I see myself. I don't even bother leaving my basement other than for groceries or workcelling.

Amnesia

TokTik is hip dude
I always laughed it off, but I think I might actually be autistic to some degree and it depresses me to no end.