Hair transplant - any bad side to it?

ThatDude

Coper
I am thinking about doing a hair transplant,
what is your guys opinion on it?

There are too many concerns to address generically. Please post your NW level, native hair type / thickness / density, and whether you are diffuse thinning or not.

General concerns:
[1] transplanted hair doesn't have the same texture as surrounding native hair, because surrounding hair is thinner or slightly different
[2] transplanted hair is not as dense as native hair
[3] thin hair type is worse for HT because there is an upper limit to transplant density, and thinner hairs make thinner hair
[4] you'll want to wear your hair not-too-short and not-too-long, maybe an inch to an inch and a half is ideal
[5] you need to consider future hair loss
[6] sometimes it doesn't work and you need a second or third procedure to get the kind of density you need
[7] shock loss

But I still plan to get a HT and think it's definitely worth it.

ThatDude

Coper
MushroomCloud said:
There are too many concerns to address generically. Please post your NW level, native hair type / thickness / density, and whether you are diffuse thinning or not.

NW2
I have very thick hair, but I am balding
Also I'm a richcel, so future hair loss / more procedures is not a problem for me
I also wear somewhat longish hair, like the guy in my signature (chico)

ThatDude said:
MushroomCloud said:

NW2
I have very thick hair, but I am balding
Also I'm a richcel, so future hair loss / more procedures is not a problem for me
I also wear somewhat longish hair, like the guy in my signature (chico)
I haven't had a HT yet, but I've done a lot of reading on hairloss forums.

I'm NW2.5 and probably have more thinning near the front than you. I'm on Dut waiting around a year for my existing hair to thicken up. Each individual hair near the front has a small diameter, is sort of wispy. According to my reading, those hairs should thicken up after a year of Dut. I could probably get a HT right now, but I prefer to wait until my Dut regrowth period is mostly over.

For you, I would worry about whether you can achieve the density you want. If you wear your hair long, it needs to be dense and thick or it will look flat. Your donor hairs should have a good diameter to create a good effect. As I mentioned, it is usually better to wear your hair at a medium length after a HT. The reason is that the hair is long enough to blend in with native hair, and not so short that you can see the base of the transplanted hairs. I would look for a surgeon who is good at achieving high densities and creating good hairlines. Hopefully you can achieve a density and thickness that allows you to wear your hair long. I'm considering Feriduni in Belgium.
[hr]
You should also look at cases where graft survival rate is very low. If your graft survival rate is low, you might need additional transplants to achieve the desired density. Better to spend more on a good surgeon to get it right (which is ok since you're richcel). Also, even if the surgeon is very good, you might want a second touch up procedure to fill in some thin spots or make it denser.