• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

Growth rotations and their effects on facial convexity

LordSUPER

Banned
What does it mean if a nasion has anterior growth and how is it linked to a long face?

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion
It is related to anteinclination of palatal plane. Palatal plane is essentially the landmark of the orientation of your maxilla, its rotation is often correlated with the position of the jaws in the horizontal/vertical dimension. Anterior nasal spine is the most anterior point of your palatal plane. Anteinclination of palatal plane is commonly seen in horizontal growers and skeletal open bites. Skeletal open bite is one of the variations of long face syndrome, where the posterior maxilla is rotated backwards, and often in a combination with supraeruption of molars causes the clockwise rotation of the mandible (hyperdivergence).

• Banned

LordSUPER

Banned
JustTheWayYouAre said:
It is related to anteinclination of palatal plane. Palatal plane is essentially the landmark of the orientation of your maxilla, its rotation is often correlated with the position of the jaws in the horizontal/vertical dimension. Anterior nasal spine is the most anterior point of your palatal plane. Anteinclination of palatal plane is commonly seen in horizontal growers and skeletal open bites. Skeletal open bite is one of the variations of long face syndrome, where the posterior maxilla is rotated backwards, and often in a combination with supraeruption of molars causes the clockwise rotation of the mandible (hyperdivergence).

If your teeth are aligned straightly, perfectly, however your jaws are rotated slightly downwards when the angle should be more upwards, what would this be termed as?
For example, when your eyes are pointed straight forward your jaws are rotated downwards despite both jaws having well developed growth (no recessed anything, just the fact that well developed jaws have been rotated too far downwards causing a narrower face), so in order to present a normal more square jawed profile to the world, you must tilt your head upwards. Doing so produces the ideal jaws angle however now your eyes and brows are pointed upwards.

Do you know anything about what causes this?
Is there a certain name for this that i can research more about, in terms of growth rotations?
It would look something like this:
[img=300x200]http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...5/c117ecd8acbe616668fea6528829433a.jpeg[/img]

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion
LordSUPER said:
JustTheWayYouAre said:

If your teeth are aligned straightly, perfectly, however your jaws are rotated slightly downwards when the angle should be more upwards, what would this be termed as?
For example, when your eyes are pointed straight forward your jaws are rotated downwards despite both jaws having well developed growth (no recessed anything, just the fact that well developed jaws have been rotated too far downwards causing a narrower face), so in order to present a normal more square jawed profile to the world, you must tilt your head upwards. Doing so produces the ideal jaws angle however now your eyes and brows are pointed upwards.

Is there a certain name for this that i can research more about, in terms of growth rotations?
[img=300x200]http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...5/c117ecd8acbe616668fea6528829433a.jpeg[/img]

You need to understand the rotation of palatal plane does not imply the rotation of the mandibular or occlusal plane. Dentofacial deformities consist of various variations. If your occlusal plane is rotated downwards/backwards (which is the case you are describing), it's called steep occlusal plane. Steep occlusal plane is often accompanied by steep mandibular plane, but the maxillary (palatal) plane may be equally steep, neutral or anteinclined. You may actually be a Class III, but this type of rotation is causing your bite to become Class I. Class I may become Class II due to the same principle. All in all, this is often accompanied by increased lower facial height, poor Jarabak ratio, steep mandibular plane angle, etc. etc.

• Banned

LordSUPER

Banned
JustTheWayYouAre said:
LordSUPER said:

You need to understand the rotation of palatal plane does not imply the rotation of the mandibular or occlusal plane. Dentofacial deformities consist of various variations. If your occlusal plane is rotated downwards/backwards (which is the case you are describing), it's called steep occlusal plane. Steep occlusal plane is often accompanied by steep mandibular plane, but the maxillary (palatal) plane may be equally steep, neutral or anteinclined. You may actually be a Class III, but this type of rotation is causing your bite to become Class I. Class I may become Class II due to the same principle. All in all, this is often accompanied by increased lower facial height, poor Jarabak ratio, steep mandibular plane angle, etc. etc.

Is a steep occlusal plane always an environmental issue? Or could it simply be genetic? As children we do not present steep occlusal planes therefore it is unknown whether genetics could be the issue, leading more blame to be on the environment.
If it is environmental, what would be the remedy to correct the issue and make the occlusal plane less steep - Would mewing + upright head posture have any effect on correcting this?

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion
There is no definitive answer for that. Growth patterns are actually established during the earliest phases of the childhood, and the mewing is just an unproven set of claims.

• Banned

LordSUPER

Banned
JustTheWayYouAre said:
There is no definitive answer for that. Growth patterns are actually established during the earliest phases of the childhood, and the mewing is just an unproven set of claims.

This quote claims that lowering your head leads to a more shorter face
There may be some truth to this, because correct head posture never keeps the head upwards, furthermore during mewing you can feel increased pressure on the palate when doing the 'chin tuck' Mike Mew advocates which ultimately forces your head to face downwards rather than upwards (Bearing in mind that the entire neck must be upright, this forces pressure upwards on the maxilla and must have some effect on undoing the damage.) When I observe people with excellent facial growth, their heads are always upright and their faces are, from the side, always facing parallel to the ground.
Quote: 
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]On the average, a reduction of the craniocervical angle was seen in connection with increased forward rotation of the mandible [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3456207[/font][/SIZE]

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion
LordSUPER said:
JustTheWayYouAre said:

There may be some truth to this, because correct head posture never keeps the head upwards, furthermore during mewing you can feel increased pressure on the palate when doing the 'chin tuck' Mike Mew advocates which ultimately forces your head to face downwards rather than upwards (Bearing in mind that the entire neck must be upright, this forces pressure upwards on the maxilla and must have some effect on undoing the damage)
Quote: 
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]On the average, a reduction of the craniocervical angle was seen in connection with increased forward rotation of the mandible [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3456207[/font][/SIZE]

I don't see such a claim. What I see is the correlational pairing of two variables.

• Banned

LordSUPER

Banned
JustTheWayYouAre said:
LordSUPER said:
There may be some truth to this, because correct head posture never keeps the head upwards, furthermore during mewing you can feel increased pressure on the palate when doing the 'chin tuck' Mike Mew advocates which ultimately forces your head to face downwards rather than upwards (Bearing in mind that the entire neck must be upright, this forces pressure upwards on the maxilla and must have some effect on undoing the damage)
Quote: 

I don't see such a claim. What I see is the correlational pairing of two variables.

Do some ethnic groups exhibit a steep occlusal plane due to their genetics? I.E. Is it common to see a certain population of people with naturally more steep planes than another population?

JustTheWayYouAre

Champion
LordSUPER said:
JustTheWayYouAre said:

Do some ethnic groups exhibit a steep occlusal plane due to their genetics? I.E. Is it common to see a certain population of people with naturally more steep planes than another population?

Probably, but I don't know any since I haven't researched this. I suppose you feel insecure due to your observation of yourself and try to find reasons confirming your growth is actually normal. 

Just post pics without jutting and tilting.

LordSUPER

Banned
JustTheWayYouAre said:
LordSUPER said:

Probably, but I don't know any since I haven't researched this. I suppose you feel insecure due to your observation of yourself and try to find reasons confirming your growth is actually normal. 

Just post pics without jutting and tilting.

Ill probably be getting an x ray soon. That should explain everything. Do you want me to send you it, if i decide to get it done, to analyse my skull?