Genetic links to caffeine sensitivity found

Anakind

King of Chads
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-sensitivity

Cliffs:

- If you're lucky, you metabolize caffeine so well that you benefit from the short-term mood-enhancing effects without suffering too much from the downsides b/c the substance leaves your system fairly quickly.

- If you're unlucky, caffeine not only has little positive effects on you but it fucks you up in the long run b/c with each new cup of coffee you build up higher blood levels of caffeine since the last dose still hasn't been metabolized.   :ugh:

Genetic Link to Caffeine Sensitivity

Caffeine is metabolized by the liver using the enzyme CYP1A2. The ability to produce this enzyme is regulated by the CYP1A2 gene. Slight changes in the DNA sequence of this gene determine how efficiently a person can metabolize caffeine and thus eliminate it from the body.¹
Some people genetically produce very little of this enzyme while others produce a large amount. The majority of humans are somewhere in the middle.

The AHR gene also plays a role in caffeine sensitivity in that it regulates the turning on and off of the CYP1A2 gene. 10% of the population are rapid caffeine metabolizers and thus not very caffeine sensitive. ²

The third genetic link to caffeine sensitivity involves the type of adenosine receptors a person has in his/her brain. Those lacking the correct adenosine receptors in their brain are unresponsive to the awakening effects of caffeine because the caffeine molecule cannot properly bind to the receptors. ³

6 More Genetic Links

The most recent research from The Harvard School of Public Health found 6 new genetic variants associated with the way people metabolize and form addiction to caffeine.4
Advertisement

The 120,000 person study revealed:

• 2 genes related to how caffeine is metabolized.
  • 2 genes associated with how we feel rewarded from caffeine.
  • 2 genes that regulate fat and sugar in the bloodstream as a response to caffeine.
@"The Masked Magician" @"RealRob" @"MENTAL_CEL" @"BlueBalls" @"paulus" @"Nizoral Babe" @"assburger" @"hospen"

gandytime

Slayer
hospen said:
so slower metabolizers = more likely to feel the effects of caffeine?

When I drink a cup of coffe, literally after just 1 sip, within seconds I can feel the caffeine effects kicking in. Shitting you not. What does that mean?
Placebo effect.

hospen said:
gandytime said:
Placebo effect.

no it's not placebo you godamn fucker. It's as real as it gets, I also get jittery and extremely hyper, almost manic. 2 hours later and I'm crashing, I feel very irritated and depressed. It's always the same.
broscience to the rescue:
Either the caffeine is entering your bloodstream sublingually or the flavor / knowledge of the coffee is inducing a conditioned response in the brain (i.e. placebo), similar to how the taste of sugar can make you feel slightly euphoric.

kibo

Chad
Coffe doesnt work for me,
i cant beat feeling sleepy with anything but sleep  :bazooka:
will read article later though.
edit:just read if.so i am probably person wjo lacks genes to feel the effects.Lame lol

Demgainz

Normie
Caffeine is a shitty drug, too bad there is nothing better without prescription.

Anakind

King of Chads
hospen said:
so slower metabolizers = more likely to feel the effects of caffeine?

When I drink a cup of coffe, literally after just 1 sip, within seconds I can feel the caffeine effects kicking in. Shitting you not. What does that mean?
Metabolism of caffeine is not the same as sensitivity to it. From what you write you have a high sensitivity to the stimulant just like me. So your fight and flight mode kicks in immediately, your adenosine receptors are blocked and your cortisol and adrenaline levels are elevated instantly. After the couple hours you mentioned you feel sleepy again b/c your adrenals have been exhausted and aren't able to produce stress hormones without further stimulation.

This is the great problem of stimulants like caffeine. They artificially spike your stress hormone levels so your endocrine system isn't able any longer to release stress hormones in a natural state. When you stop consuming caffeine and get the withdrawal symptoms you will have extremely low cortisol levels until your system is back to baseline. I read it can take up to two months. And hardly anybody quits caffeine for that long. So most people don't even know what it feels like to be without the constant buzz from coffee.

Anakind

King of Chads
hospen said:
damnit. However I don't drink that often, hardly 3 cups a month and not every month. But yeah you are right, whenever I drink just 200 mg of caffeine it's enough to send me into overdrive and after that I feel like I haven't slept in 3 days. Legit post.
Damn that's little. I have a hard time keeping it at less than 3 cups a day. A few months ago I had phases when I quit caffeine completely for a couple weeks. But just when my system seemed to have gotten rid of it I started again.   :ugh:

RealRob

Staff member
Masculinity Crew
I really need to quit that caffeine, Im roiding and Im STILL exchausted If I dont get atleast 400mg a day, often more. When I get it, I feel "normal" and good for like 3-4 hours, then Im tired again lol.

If I dont take it, I get headache and feel like a slug, I dont want to do nothing at all. 

Caffeine basicly gets me to my usual "normal level" of mood nowadays.

I need to quit it, but I need a good time period to do so cause I cant fucking work without it.

Anakind

King of Chads
RealRob said:
I really need to quit that caffeine, Im roiding and Im STILL exchausted If I dont get atleast 400mg a day, often more. When I get it, I feel "normal" and good for like 3-4 hours, then Im tired again lol.

If I dont take it, I get headache and feel like a slug, I dont want to do nothing at all. 

Caffeine basicly gets me to my usual "normal level" of mood nowadays.

I need to quit it, but I need a good time period to do so cause I cant fucking work without it.
 You can get off slowly instead of cold turkey. Reduce the amount of coffee in your cups by 10% every day.

kibo

Chad
Is there any other stimulant(which is not some hardcore drug)to help you fight being sleepy?

kibo

Chad
The Masked Magician said:
Ephedrine?
Lol i  just read its similar to theophylline and used for treating asthma as well.
Recently when i had hardcore asthma period(i had some [font=georgia, serif]Electric Thermal Storage[/font] in room which intoxicated my lungs)  i took theophylline and felt full of energy for studying,something i never have for too long.I was taking it for 7 days and you have some slight weird feel in chest due to them working alot.
It doesnt sound to me like  smart idea to take it for the sake of studying.
I dont wanna kill myself,i already have stupid asthma.
:rage:

Anakind

King of Chads
kibo said:
Is there any other stimulant(which is not some hardcore drug)to help you fight being sleepy?
If you feel sleepy all the time, there will be a reason for it. In many cases it's the caffeine itself that causes the fatigue. It blocks adenosine receptors which covers up the tiredness for some time but doesn't change the fact that adenosine continues to build up. The best thing is to get off the stimulants. When I quit caffeine for a few weeks I had more energy than I ever had on caffeine.

kibo

Chad
Anakind said:
kibo said:
If you feel sleepy all the time, there will be a reason for it. In many cases it's the caffeine itself that causes the fatigue. It blocks adenosine receptors which covers up the tiredness for some time but doesn't change the fact that adenosine continues to build up. The best thing is to get off the stimulants. When I quit caffeine for a few weeks I had more energy than I ever had on caffeine.
I have asthma so i should not take theophylline or ephedrine to fight sleepiness as my heart already has asthma as burden on it(and mouth breathing and pathetic sleep due to mouth breathing and asthma).
I am not sensitive to caffeine at all(like zero sensitivity).
I drank energy drink and went to sleep very soon.
I drink coffee very rarely,and more for the sake of taste(and boredom and placebo effect)
I am not sleepy all the time,i just have very little energy for doing more intense stuff like mental work.Even after working out i have to sleep before studying.
I will soon ask to  have  sleep study done to check out for sleep apnea.
It just sucks i cant find any legit stimulant to fight sleepiness.
Average student has coffee or even that ephedrine.I got nothing

kibo

Chad
The Masked Magician said:
You are just a low energy person. It's an incel trait.
i am low energy.My mother sleeps alot and i inherited it from her(like most of other stuff as well).But my health issues made it alot worse.
I dont care for avarage sleep time,i just want more energy to finish fucking the job when i am on it