Fermented food/probiotics prevents social anxiety

heilsa

Slayer
Highlights

•This study investigated the relationship between fermented foods and social anxiety.
    •Fermented food consumption, neuroticism, and exercise predicted social anxiety.
    •Fermented food consumption and neuroticism interacted to predict social anxiety.
    •Fermented foods should be further investigated as an intervention for social anxiety.

Abstract

Animal models and clinical trials in humans suggest that probiotics can have an anxiolytic effect. However, no studies have examined the relationship between probiotics and social anxiety. Here we employ a cross-sectional approach to determine whether consumption of fermented foods likely to contain probiotics interacts with neuroticism to predict social anxiety symptoms. A sample of young adults (N=710, 445 female) completed self-report measures of fermented food consumption, neuroticism, and social anxiety. An interaction model, controlling for demographics, general consumption of healthful foods, and exercise frequency, showed that exercise frequency, neuroticism, and fermented food consumption significantly and independently predicted social anxiety. Moreover, fermented food consumption also interacted with neuroticism in predicting social anxiety. Specifically, for those high in neuroticism, higher frequency of fermented food consumption was associated with fewer symptoms of social anxiety. Taken together with previous studies, the results suggest that fermented foods that contain probiotics may have a protective effect against social anxiety symptoms for those at higher genetic risk, as indexed by trait neuroticism. While additional research is necessary to determine the direction of causality, these results suggest that consumption of fermented foods that contain probiotics may serve as a low-risk intervention for reducing social anxiety.
http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S0165-1781(15)00214-0/abstract

sparta

Cuck
I can't eat sauerkraut (too bad imo) or dairy. Suggestions what to eat?

heilsa

Slayer
sparta said:
order probiotic capsules from amazon

sparta

Cuck
heilsa said:
sparta said:
order probiotic capsules from amazon
I'm trying to keep suplements to an minimum and only eat real food. I found this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fermented_foods but I don't know how effective or easily available those are.

I could buy these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

heilsa

Slayer
slayer of forums said:
probiotics didn't do jack shit for me, yet another broscience article
n wonder this research study i posted is about the affect of fermented foods on humans not about the effect on gypsies.

Nizoral Babe

Coper
Probiotics are the king of nutrition. Eating sauerkraut and drinking ACV daily have helped me immensely. For the guys who cannot eat sauerkraut, try making your own. Store bought sauerkraut is generally useless, as it's non-fermented. There's no healthy bacteria in it to begin with so no health benefits. Secondly, store bought usually has vinegar in it (and not the healthy kind!) which is not how you make homemade sauerkraut. 

Cabbage, water and salt. That's it. You can start adding different things to it once you've got it down to a science.

Other than sauerkraut and ACV, I recommend yogurt (as does Victory) as a probiotic. Yogurt is great for low-carb even, as the bacteria in yogurt consumes many of the sugars in it. But always be wary of your carb limit and try to keep it to a minimal level.

just lol @ this study.

without even reading into it, i can tell it reeks of confounding variables, kimchi, and failure to understand the adage "correlation doesn't imply causation."

if you have, at the very least, a decent understanding of how the world works, you'll know it's absurd to believe that fermented foods prevent social anxiety.

Nizoral Babe

Coper
TheNextLachowski said:
just lol @ this study.

without even reading into it, i can tell it reeks of confounding variables, kimchi, and failure to understand the adage "correlation doesn't imply causation."

if you have, at the very least, a decent understanding of how the world works, you'll know it's absurd to believe that fermented foods prevent social anxiety.
Why is that? Social anxiety is not normal as humans are social creatures. A perfectly logical explanation for this is mineral/vitamin deficiency, which is provable by fixing it. Getting your digestive system repaired (which nearly every human on the planet sorely needs) is a viable option for fixing a deficiency issue.

This is why people using drugs, alcohol, tobacco become less inhibited because of the effects chemicals have on the brain. This same effect be achieved through diet, supplementation, fasting, exercise, etc.

EDIT:
Quick proof of such, take a person who sits inside all day eating microwavable burritos all day. Then take another person who is outside daily, sunshine and healthy foods are his way of life. The person outside is constantly exposed to vitamin D which makes him happier. Combined with his better diet, he feels like three times the man who sits in a dark room 24/7. This has been studied and replicated numerous times, so there's no use trying to argue it. 

Diet and nutrition are KING.

rigidity

Slayer
The data on brobiotics is completely inconclusive outside of maybe antibiotic associated diarrhea.   

Maybe you guys should look into crystals and horse therapy for your "social anxiety."
[hr]
heilsa said:
rigidity said:
Keep coping, OP.
lmao how many alts do you have? fuckin lol
Suck a fat one.  You'd rather take a magic pill that doesn't even work instead of do real work to change.

paulus

Banned
Aparat said:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084877

-We observed unusually large testes and social dominance behaviors in male mouse models while feeding probiotic yogurt or purified lactic acid bacteria during obesity and cancer studies 
-Given that the Leydig cell is the main cellular source of testosterone, we next examined the effect of the probiotic organism in testosterone serum levels of mice at the age of 5 months. We found that mice eating L. reuteri had profoundly increased levels of circulating testosterone regardless of the type of diet they consumed (CD mice vs CD+LR, P = 0.0266) and NWD-fed groups of mice (NWD vs NWD+LR, P = 0.0037)
& it counteracts age-associated testicular atrophy.

lltvyr

Slayer
paulus said:
Aparat said:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084877

-We observed unusually large testes and social dominance behaviors in male mouse models while feeding probiotic yogurt or purified lactic acid bacteria during obesity and cancer studies 
-Given that the Leydig cell is the main cellular source of testosterone, we next examined the effect of the probiotic organism in testosterone serum levels of mice at the age of 5 months. We found that mice eating L. reuteri had profoundly increased levels of circulating testosterone regardless of the type of diet they consumed (CD mice vs CD+LR, P = 0.0266) and NWD-fed groups of mice (NWD vs NWD+LR, P = 0.0037)
& it counteracts age-associated testicular atrophy.

anything similar in humans already?

[font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]Brain boost[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]Thankfully, Cryan has a far more appetising method on offer.  “Diet is perhaps the biggest factor in shaping the composition of the microbiome,” he says. A study by University College Cork researchers published in Nature in 2012 followed 200 elderly people over the course of two years, as they transitioned into different environments such as nursing homes. The researchers found that their subjects’ health – frailty, cognition, and immune system – all correlated with their microbiome. From bacterial population alone, researchers could tell if a patient was a long-stay patient in a nursing home, or short-stay, or living in the general community. These changes were a direct reflection of their diet in these different environments. “A diverse diet gives you a diverse microbiome that gives you a better health outcome,” says Cryan.[/font]

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140221-can-gut-bugs-make-you-smarter

:banderas: