• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

Don't worry about vitamin K2 when supplementing D3!

Eli

I have noticed various people here who take vitamin D recommend supplementing with K2 as well.

For those of you who are not aware vitamin D increases your blood levels of calcium. Therefore, you would need vitamin K2 to shuttle all the extra calcium to the places it's supposed to be (teeth, bones, etc.) and not in the arteries. 

Well this made me question the fact that vitamin K2 rarely occurs in whole foods (only in fermented soy, a couple of types of cheeses). Why would our bodies require a nutrient that is EXTREMELY hard to come by? 

However, it's relatively easy to consume ample amount of vitamin K1, found in nearly all your leafy greens you should already be eating. In fact, one cup of cooked kale has around 1000 mcg of K1 (Well above the RDA of 90 mcg).                                            
Then I ran into this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16469140 showing that K1 is effectively (25 %) converted into K2 in humans. Twenty-Five percent may not seem like a whole lot, but remember you can easily consume a shit ton of vitamin K1 making that number less scary. 

My search for answers finally ended when I found this statement from the vitamin D counsel https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/dr-cannell-on-vitamin-k2/# Basically stating that our paleolithic ancestors likely ate quite a lot of greens, providing all the necessary K1 to convert to K2. (makes sense because where in the world would they get their fermented soybeans?)

Cliffs:
Vitamin K2 is a scam, your body produces enough if your eating the right things in good amounts

Eat your damn leafy greens! Especially if your supplementing large amounts of vitamin D

Aparat

Regular
:dnr:

O.K I did read. I'll keep it in mind.

ThePolygamist

Rotter
Eli said:
I have noticed various people here who take vitamin D recommend supplementing with K2 as well.

For those of you who are not aware vitamin D increases your blood levels of calcium. Therefore, you would need vitamin K2 to shuttle all the extra calcium to the places it's supposed to be (teeth, bones, etc.) and not in the arteries. 

Well this made me question the fact that vitamin K2 rarely occurs in whole foods (only in fermented soy, a couple of types of cheeses). Why would our bodies require a nutrient that is EXTREMELY hard to come by? 

However, it's relatively easy to consume ample amount of vitamin K1, found in nearly all your leafy greens you should already be eating. In fact, one cup of cooked kale has around 1000 mcg of K1 (Well above the RDA of 90 mcg).                                            
Then I ran into this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16469140 showing that K1 is effectively (25 %) converted into K2 in humans. Twenty-Five percent may not seem like a whole lot, but remember you can easily consume a shit ton of vitamin K1 making that number less scary. 

My search for answers finally ended when I found this statement from the vitamin D counsel https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/dr-cannell-on-vitamin-k2/# Basically stating that our paleolithic ancestors likely ate quite a lot of greens, providing all the necessary K1 to convert to K2. (makes sense because where in the world would they get their fermented soybeans?)

Cliffs:
Vitamin K2 is a scam, your body produces enough if your eating the right things in good amounts

Eat your damn leafy greens! Especially if your supplementing large amounts of vitamin D

you are a twat and spreading dangerous misinformation
your body does not produce enough K2 if you are megadosing D3 like some of us are
if we take your advice we could be left with some serious health problems

[video=youtube]

Eli

ThePolygamist said:
your body does not produce enough K2 if you are megadosing D3 like some of us are

[video=youtube]

Your body easily produces up to 20,000 IU with only 20-30 minutes of sun exposure. Our paleolithic ancestors were more than likely spending a lot more time than that in the sun, where did they get they're K2 supps?

ThePolygamist

Rotter
Eli said:
ThePolygamist said:

[video=youtube]

Your body easily produces up to 20,000 IU with only 20-30 minutes of sun exposure. Our paleolithic ancestors were more than likely spending a lot more time than that in the sun, where did they get they're K2 supps?

K2 was present in animals and vegetation
soil mineral/vitamin depletion in the western world has reduced the K2 content considerably
its also why the guy in the vid said the indians didnt have to brush their teeth, there was enough K2 in the food they ate because there wasnt intensive farming in their region

Eli

ThePolygamist said:
Eli said:

K2 was present in animals and vegetation
soil mineral/vitamin depletion in the western world has reduced the K2 content considerably
its also why the guy in the vid said the indians didnt have to brush their teeth, there was enough K2 in the food they ate because there wasnt intensive farming in their region

K2 has nothing to do with soil quality, it's a vitamin not a mineral. 

I've been taking 50,000 iu's for several months now, and getting regular blood tests done in order to test my theory. Everything check out so far based on my test results / blood pressure

Aparat

Regular
Eli said:
ThePolygamist said:

[video=youtube]

If I recall correctly, your body can shut down the process once you've spent enough time outside to get enough vitamin D3. Although, it contradicts the claim that it takes approx two days to absorb the vitamin D3 on your skin. Perhaps someone else knows.

hey guys

taking so much of d3 messes up your bodys natural ability to produce NATURAL D3 from the sunlight

it's not healthy to take so much d3

ThePolygamist

Rotter
Aspiring Pick Up Artist said:
hey guys

taking so much of d3 messes up your bodys natural ability to produce NATURAL D3 from the sunlight

it's not healthy to take so much d3

strong sources