• Stop coping, and start posting. Register an account in order to gain full access to Lookism's features.

Click to edit

Don Draper

Regular
Just random courses. Haven't declared a major yet

Mona

Regular
Don Draper said:

Oh man....

Don't waste your time like that seriously...

It's a huge fucking waste of time. 

Honestly....

What you can do is this...

If you could care less about a career and more about slaying in college...

Do fashion design....

After college, act like a huge fucking homo and you'll get hired somewhere good due to affirmative action.

Don Draper said:

Yeah just drop out and join the military or something. 

Honestly I wish I'd dropped out of high school at age 15.  School is just one big ponzi scheme designed to steal your time and money.  

I earned a STEM degree from a pretty good school and it took me 6 months and 500+ resume applications to land a job.  Yeah I fell for the STEMcuck meme(I admit it, @"harvardbusinessschool").  I'm making OK money nothing to write home about.  I'd be making around the same had I just gone into the trades.

In short,

Bachelor's degrees = toiler paper
Master's degree without solid work experience = toiler paper 
phd, by the time you earn one you're 35 = toilet paper

College is only worth it if you can land a prestigious internship and make lots of connections.  If you can't, just don't even bother.

Molasses

Joke
Having a degree in your resume is always better than not having any.

Get what you can get and move on, unless you're getting into massive debt.

Molasses said:

I'd much rather have 5 years of experience as an electrician on my resume than 80% of college degrees.  If he's almost finished the degree then by all means complete it. 

Here's how I'd rank it from best to worst

A degree from an elite school >>>>>>  trades >=  A stemcuck degree > Sitting home and wanking for 4 years >>>>>>>> a degree in sociology/English lit./history etc

Don Draper said:
I'm retuning in the fall, but I'm starting to realize that I'm too low IQ to get a respectable degree

Become a car mechanics and you will have a good life in low CoL cities.

Yes. Workcelling is useless if you sub6

Your best bet is to get rich or be famous. Or else you will die as a depressed bitter man

lms_zombie

PSL Hall of Fame
Oldcels
Former Lurker said:
Molasses said:

I'd much rather have 5 years of experience as an electrician on my resume than 80% of college degrees.  If he's almost finished the degree then by all means complete it. 

A degree from an elite school >>>>>>  trades >=  A stemcuck degree > Sitting home and wanking for 4 years >>>>>>>> a degree in sociology/English lit./history etc

define "A degree from an elite school" , even in sociology/English?

i think stemceling is the only way tbh

lms_rotten_zombie said:
Former Lurker said:

define "A degree from an elite school" ,  even in sociology/English?  

i think stemceling is the only way tbh

Yes even in Sociology and English.  It will give you the opportunity to network and rub shoulders with well connected people.

Having a liberal arts degree from Harvard/Yale/Oxford is better than having a CS degree from a state school. 

@"ThereIsNoGame" I fell for the STEMcuck meme but the more I read into it the past few weeks, the more I realized it's complete horseshit.  They can always outsource your job to India or bring in some H1-B.  Many big tech companies like Amazon, Netflix, and twitter are barely profitable even with outsourcing and H1-B system.

@"lms_rotten_zombie" here's a study on the unemployment rates among college majors.  Turns out CS has the highest unemployment rate in the UK.  

[font=ff-tisa-web-pro, serif]UK Computer Science has the highest rate of unemployed graduates[/font]

[font=ff-tisa-web-pro, serif]The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) has commissioned a majorreview into the way Computer Science is taught at UK universities due to the subject’s growing rates of graduate unemployment.[/font]

[font=ff-tisa-web-pro, serif]The review, set to be published next month, aims to ensure the UK’s Computer Science graduates are introduced to the materials and concepts that will help them find employment upon completion of their studies, and equip them with the tools for career progression that will last long into the future.[/font]
[font=ff-tisa-web-pro, serif]Last year, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, Professor of Computer Science and Principal of Jesus College, Oxford, noted that the subject has consistently received the highest rates of graduate unemployment among any UK subject, citing “concerns from industry about the skills, agility and work-readiness” of the country’s Computer Science alumni.[/font]
https://www.studyinternational.com/...-has-the-highest-rate-of-unemployed-graduates

[video=youtube]
People like Aaron Clarey are cocksuckers, peddling the STEM shortage meme, and complaining that this generation is a bunch of lazy parasites.  There is no STEM shortage.  

[video=youtube]

Former Lurker said:
People like Aaron Clarey are cocksuckers, peddling the STEM shortage meme, and complaining that this generation is a bunch of lazy parasites.  There is no STEM shortage.  

[video=youtube]

Found another vid by this guy giving advice to an unemployed chemical engineering graduate.  This guy was pushing kids to study petroleum and chemical engineering.

[video=youtube]
With the collapse of oil prices most chemical and petroleum engineering graduates won't be able to find work for the foreseeable future.   You have no idea which industries are going to be in demand in 4-5 years.