Being surrounded by depressed people, can make you prone to illness (STUDY)

Vertu

Incel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...people-make-prone-illness-say-scientists.html

Depression and the emotions associated with it can be contagious, according to a new study.
Researchers have found that the gloomy mindset of students vulnerable to depression can be catching, making their friends more likely to suffer the condition six months later.
The research follows studies showing that people who respond negatively to stressful life events - interpreting them as the result of factors they can't change and as a reflection of their own shortcomings -  are more vulnerable to depression.

[img=468x277]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/19/article-2311523-1961FCE0000005DC-937_468x277.jpg[/img]
Contagious: The study found that those who had close contact with people suffering from depression were more likely to develop it themselves

This ‘cognitive vulnerability’ is such a strong risk factor for depression that it can be used to predict who is

likely to experience depression in the future.

Doctors Gerald Haeffel and Jennifer Hames, of Indiana's University of Notre Dame, said that this vulnerability seemed to establish itself in early adolescence but remain stable throughout adulthood.
They decided to investigate whether it might be 'contagious' during major life transitions such as starting at university.

They followed 206 room mates who had been paired up randomly, all of whom had just started their first year of university.

The results revealed that students who were assigned to a room mate with high levels of cognitive vulnerability were likely to ‘catch’ their room mate's style of thinking and develop a vulnerability to depression themselves.

[img=233x299]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/19/article-2311523-1961FCE5000005DC-127_233x299.jpg[/img]
Depression can be an incredibly isolating experience

The reverse was also true. Those assigned to room mates who were not prone to depression experienced decreases in their own levels negative thinking.
The result showed that students who developed an increase in depressive thinking in the first three months of college, had nearly twice the level of depressive symptoms at six months than those who didn't show such an increase.

Dr Haeffel said it provided 'striking evidence' for the contagion theory. He added that the findings suggest that altering a person’s environment could be used a part of a treatment for depression because a person's vulnerability fluctuates over time.

He said: ‘Our study demonstrates that cognitive vulnerability has the potential to wax and wane over time depending on the social context.

‘This means that cognitive vulnerability should be thought of as plastic rather than immutable.'
The research is published in the journal Clinical Psychological Science.

Misery is absolutely contagious.

Remember: Surround yourself with happy, cool, upbeat individuals while limiting time spent with miserable suckers (Lookism.NET)

And you WILL make it in all aspects of life.

mvp

life is a scam
very depressed people can legit drain your life energy
im not really too vulnerable to that, but it may still have some effect

ilikedicks

Coper
Legit

Dantino was right to leave. Just like Nizoral Babe, Madmaxman and Dltbb should leave too in my opinion. None of you seem clinically depressed, no aspie quirks, and can hold down conversations well.  There's been a few here i've talked with on skype/through pms who don't seem mentally unstable. You should all leave because nothing can be done for you here, nothing positive atleast. I have to ask though Vertu, why stay here and try to help/educate helpless people? It took me only 2 weeks joining the original PUAhate to realize nothing can be done for the severe cases, nothing short of professional help atleast.

Vertu

Incel
ilikedicks said:
I have to ask though Vertu, why stay here and try to help/educate helpless people? It took me only 2 weeks joining the original PUAhate to realize nothing can be done for the severe cases, nothing short of professional help atleast.
People here have aspergers and autism as disabilities.

The bolded. That  IS MY mental disability.

ilikedicks

Coper
Vertu said:
ilikedicks said:
I have to ask though Vertu, why stay here and try to help/educate helpless people? It took me only 2 weeks joining the original PUAhate to realize nothing can be done for the severe cases, nothing short of professional help atleast.
People here have aspergers and autism as disabilities.

The bolded. That  IS MY mental disability.
Become a psychiatrist, and in doing so nurture your passion and get paid to do it! I also have a bit of an obsession with helping people thus the reason i'm studying law.

heilsa

Slayer
If you dance with the devil, the devil dont change, he changes you

Darkman

Normie
[font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif]You can die from someone else's misery—emotional states are as infectious as diseases. You may feel you are helping the drowning man but you are only precipitating your own disaster. The unfortunate sometimes draw misfortune on themselves; they will also draw it on you. Associate with the happy and fortunate instead. -Robert Greene[/font]

ilikedicks said:
Legit

Dantino was right to leave. Just like Nizoral Babe, Madmaxman and Dltbb should leave too in my opinion. None of you seem clinically depressed, no aspie quirks, and can hold down conversations well.  There's been a few here i've talked with on skype/through pms who don't seem mentally unstable. You should all leave because nothing can be done for you here, nothing positive atleast. I have to ask though Vertu, why stay here and try to help/educate helpless people? It took me only 2 weeks joining the original PUAhate to realize nothing can be done for the severe cases, nothing short of professional help atleast.
You're right. Dantino's departure was probably a good thing. I think I'll follow his example and leave both this site and Sluthate myself (or at least greatly limit my time on these two sites). I'm not a young man any more, and I'm at a point where I need to completely change and improve my quality of life, and these two sites are a massive time sink...brimming with tons of negative energy. Sluthate wasn't as good as Puahate, and the current version of Sluthate is more boring now than what it was before the arrival of Lookism. And Lookism feels diminished after the forum invasion of the Nu Miscers.

Despite this, the trolling continues on both sites. Trolling can be funny sometimes, but after a while it just gets old. Both Sluthate and Lookism are toxic, and that's not what I need at the moment. It's time for me to be more positive, less helpless, and be more productive with my life. And that time might as well be now.

purps drank

Slayer
I've posted this before, but this website isn't what makes me depressed, reality is. I believed everything that was talked about on PUAHate before I even posted there. Signing up there actually improved my mental state because I realized I wasn't the only person horrified by the dating market, and aware of just how much looks affect every interaction, and just how little personality will help you. 

I remember before I found PUAHate, I would obsessively google things about how changing your looks affected how people treated you. I eventually stumbled upon this quora thread: http://www.quora.com/What-does-it-feel-like-to-go-from-physically-unattractive-to-attractive  And I realized that I was definitely onto something and kept googling and eventually came upon PUAHate. To paint this website as some dark corner of the internet is an over-exaggeration, many people outside of this website know exactly what we are talking about. And I find the dark humor of this website to be hilarious, but maybe that's just me. So overall, I could leave this website, but nothing will ever stop me from noticing just how differently I was treated after clearing up my skin, growing 2 inches and gaining 20 lbs. I think it's better to stay here, where I can hash out my issues with lookism and other aspects of the dating market and life in general with like minded people.

gottaplay said:
Sacrificial Lamb said:
You're right. Dantino's departure was probably a good thing. I think I'll follow his example and leave both this site and Sluthate myself (or at least greatly limit my time on these two sites). I'm not a young man any more, and I'm at a point where I need to completely change and improve my quality of life, and these two sites are a massive time sink...brimming with tons of negative energy. Sluthate wasn't as good as Puahate, and the current version of Sluthate is more boring now than what it was before the arrival of Lookism. And Lookism feels diminished after the forum invasion of the Nu Miscers.

Despite this, the trolling continues on both sites. Trolling can be funny sometimes, but after a while it just gets old. Both Sluthate and Lookism are toxic, and that's not what I need at the moment. It's time for me to be more positive, less helpless, and be more productive with my life. And that time might as well be now.

how do you plan to improve your life quality?

I'll move out of my father's apartment, and get my own place. Start my own publishing company (books & games), and start writing again. Maybe I'll return to college again. I'll work on improving my physique, and my health. And of course, I'll date more women, and be more social, spending more time with friends and family.

There are some surgeries I might have at some point (hair transplant, limb lengthening, age spot removal/scar removal, etc.), but that stuff can wait for later.

I'm looking for my own place right now, as living with my father is very stressful....and making it impossible for me to function. It's too noisy and cluttered in this apartment, and I need a quiet, clean, uncluttered environment....if I want to accomplish my life goals. 

And I wish that I didn't live near one of the most expensive rental markets in the USA. Rent in this area is insanely expensive, so I might have to coast off my savings for a little while.....as I get my money situation stabilized.

rigidity

Slayer
Victory said:
Is surrounding yourself with depression the same thing as posting on a forum with autists?
No, it will just cause you to think more autistically, which can cause depression  :giggle:

ilikedicks

Coper
Sacrificial Lamb said:
ilikedicks said:
Legit

Yeah you're another poster who seems quite collected, just someone caught in a bad place and finds comfort in the collective wallowing on here but in the end this only hurts you more mentally and physically especially the older you get.  If you look a little closer at your own reality you might find that you don't have as much to escape from as you thought you did and that you are perfectly capable of picking yourself up/fixing the problems you have with yourself. Surround yourself with like minded positive people who will help you realize this.  You only get 70+ years max on this earth, enjoy it. Vertu has points on a lot of stuff whether he follows his own teachings or not. Look at me getting all srs'd with a name like ilikedicks fuckin' lol. I wish you the best man, along with everyone else who decides to take their leave.

SINGULARITY

Gigachad
ilikedicks said:
Sacrificial Lamb said:

Yeah you're another poster who seems quite collected, just someone caught in a bad place and finds comfort in the collective wallowing on here but in the end this only hurts you more mentally and physically especially the older you get.  If you look a little closer at your own reality you might find that you don't have as much to escape from as you thought you did and that you are perfectly capable of picking yourself up/fixing the problems you have with yourself. Surround yourself with like minded positive people who will help you realize this.  You only get 70+ years max on this earth, enjoy it. Vertu has points on a lot of stuff whether he follows his own teachings or not. Look at me getting all srs'd with a name like ilikedicks fuckin' lol. I wish you the best man, along with everyone else who decides to take their leave.
:clap:

SINGULARITY

Gigachad
just lol buddy boyo said:
Depression is NORMAL.
If you aren't depressed/have ever been depressed, you are living a fake, sheltered life.
Reality IS depressing. Wageslaving IS depressing. Not being born with the genetics that would allow you to almost effortlessly attract women IS depressing. Seeing blue pills scared so shitless out of their minds of reality that they drug themselves with lies and run away from the truth IS depressing.
Life IS depressing if you aren't at the top boyos.
True but depression is a bitch