[aesthetics] [observation] gummy smiles/vertical excess..

PRYGOD

Coper
create the illusion of a narrow palate because the maxilla diverges downward from the nose (nostrils), and take up the space where the lower jaw is supposed to sit at which further pushes the lower jaw backwards (clockwise), creating disharmony in the lower nose to lower third region

ex. my smile

Masterfaggot

Gigachad
i dont think the "gumminess" of your smile should be at the top of your concerns list

ive seen cute/hot girls with gummy smiles and it looked intriguing and unique and kinda cute. not something that enhances or dehances tbh

PRYGOD

Coper
MasterFaggot said:
i dont think the "gumminess" of your smile should be at the top of your concerns list

ive seen cute/hot girls with gummy smiles and it looked intriguing and unique and kinda cute. not something that enhances or dehances tbh

[video=youtube]
a skeletal gummy smile detracts from looks because it elongates soft tissue in the middle of the face AND fucks up the soft tissue of the lower jaw. longer maxilla = gummy smile = teeth in the lower jaw meet the teeth in the upper jaw at a lower point = mandible is rotated clockwise (+elongated mouth area). = chin is pushed back = horseface

the only reason my face doesn't look like a full on horse face is because my cheekbones are high, my face is overall very compact, and my lower jaw didn't grow downwards

most people with 5mm of vertical excess look like this:

vertical excess/deficiency is a vital component to aesthetics imo

Masterfaggot

Gigachad
PRYGOD said:
MasterFaggot said:

[video=youtube]
a skeletal gummy smile detracts from looks because it elongates soft tissue in the middle of the face AND fucks up the soft tissue of the lower jaw. longer maxilla = gummy smile = teeth in the lower jaw meet the teeth in the upper jaw at a lower point = mandible is rotated clockwise (+elongated mouth area). = horseface

the only reason my face doesn't look like a full on horse face is because my cheekbones are high, my face is overall very compact, and my lower jaw didn't grow downwards

oh snap, i guess i didnt consider the full ramifications of having a gummy smile (indicates stuff about other areas like vertical growth, etc)

easiest way to recede gums by 1.5mm is to brush your teeth up and down kinda hard like i did all my life

thats why my dentist said my gums receded a bit, and i should instead brush top row top to down only

followed by lower row of teeth by bottom to up only

PRYGOD

Coper
MasterFaggot said:
PRYGOD said:
a skeletal gummy smile detracts from looks because it elongates soft tissue in the middle of the face AND fucks up the soft tissue of the lower jaw. longer maxilla = gummy smile = teeth in the lower jaw meet the teeth in the upper jaw at a lower point = mandible is rotated clockwise (+elongated mouth area). = horseface

oh snap, i guess i didnt consider the full ramifications of having a gummy smile (indicates stuff about other areas like vertical growth, etc)

easiest way to recede gums by 1.5mm is to brush your teeth up and down kinda hard like i did all my life

thats why my dentist said my gums receded a bit, and i should instead brush top row top to down only

followed by lower row of teeth by bottom to up only

yeah its true thatsome minor gummy smiles is because of dentition/gums but in more severe/obvious cases, its not really about the gums cause if the extra bone is already grown in (you can't see it as its above the teeth and covered up by the nose/upper lip, but you can see the stretching/elongation of skin where the deformity is), you can't get rid of it by any other means than through excision & rotation through lefort I