A major CON to having a good skin tone.

Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (also known as "Postinflammatory hypermelanosis"[1]) can result from any natural or iatrogenic inflammatory condition, resulting from two mechanism: (1) increased epidermal pigmentation via increased melanocyte activity or (2) dermal melanosis from melanocyte damage and melanin drop out from the epidermis into the dermis.[2]:854

This is the underlying red, purple, brown marks left after acne which persist for days-weeks-months...years.

It's not scarring of the skin, it does eventually go away but FUCK. Any time you get a pimple their is a chance it'll fucking leave a spot of hyperpigmentation for ages. Rage inducing.

It's much more common in 'darker' people, with more melanin. I'm sure some of you have seen Africans, Asians, Hispanics with it.

Below a bad case in a dark individual.

And some more.

Although postinflammatory hyperpigmentation occurs in whites, it is more common in darker pigmented individuals including African Americans or Asians.

Pigmentary disorders, other than vitiligo, were the third most common dermatoses among African-American patients (9%), but were the seventh most common among Caucasian patients (1.7%). A more recent study in 20073 confirmed these findings showing dyschromias to be the second most common diagnosis among African-American patients, but dyschromias failed to make it into the top 10 most common diagnoses for Caucasian patients. Of interest, in a study conducted in Singapore,4 the authors note that PIH tended to also be more prevalent among Asians with darker skin, such as Malays and Indians, than those with lighter skin, such as the Chinese, suggesting that the degree of pigmentation rather than race/ethnicity may be more contributory to the development of PIH.

Prevalence of pigmentary disorders.
1,000 people: 95.6% Afro-Caribbean, 0.8% Caucasian, 2.2% Indian, 1.4% Chinese
22.8%* (includes PIH, melasma, solar lentigines)

401 people: Arab Americans (33.7% Lebanese descent)
56.4% uneven skin tone, 55.9% skin discoloration
Top 2 skin concerns out of 10

1,074 people: black and white
19.9% of diagnoses in blacks#, not in whites

However, very common causes of PIH in skin of color include acne vulgaris, atopic dermatitis, and impetigo. In fact, PIH is a particularly common sequela after acne in dark-skinned patients (Figure 2). A study in 2002 evaluating acne in skin of color found that 65.3 percent of African-American (N=239), 52.7 percent of Hispanic (N=55), and 47.4 percent of Asian (N=19) patients developed acne-induced PIH.6 Pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) is another common inflammatory dermatosis, particularly among African Americans, that results in PIH and is estimated to have a prevalence rate between 45 and 83 percent.7,8 In a study by Perry et al9 of 71 African American and Hispanic patients with PFB, 90.1 percent of patients reported hyperpigmentation; therefore, the authors suggest that PIH may be a major clinical finding in PFB
Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can occur in any skin type but is more common in Fitzpatrick Skin Types 4-6, which are darker skin tones. (See Fitzpatrick Skin Type Scale to find your type.)

If you are black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, or mixed race, please read these important precautions here. You need to be extra careful about exfoliation, cosmetic procedures, and wound care, because your skin is more likely to pigment (and scar) afterward.

tfw when ideal skin tone

tfw acne and the resulting PIH  fucks you up

:crying:

I also have multiple fucking moles and stuff, legit can't take my shirt of in the sun as one on my back has a high chance to become cancerous (so said my dermatologist). Fucking lol.

Fucking melanin man...

IamNarratorsRetrudedMaxillae said:
I'm pale as fuck and have this, I haven't had a pimple in 3 months and my skin looks like user's ass.
Shit luck.

Most pale people don't get it.

Those with Fitzpatrick skin types V through VI tend to have a thicker stratumcorneum than those that are I through IV (roughly 22 layers versus 17). This denser stratumcorneum often leads to impaction and a predisposition to acne breakouts, as a result of increased debris and sebum trapped in the follicles.
Transepidermal water loss is also more common in higher Fitzpatrick skin types, resulting in impaired barrier function. This impaired function often leads to an increased sensitivity to topical stimulation. The more moisture loss present, the more exacerbated the impacted stratumcorneum becomes. The dryness that results leads to an increase in sebum production and acne. The higher the grade of acne, the more likely it is that post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation will occur, ultimately complicating treatment for the clinician.
While all Fitzpatrick skin types have the same number of melanocytes present in the skin, the activity of those melanocytes differs. Higher Fitzpatrick skin types have melanosomes with larger melanin granules than those with lighter skin; those granules are evenly dispersed across the skin’s basal layer. This factor leads to melanocytes that are more active and a greater chance of hyperpigmentation.

:crying: